conservation for newspaper advert

Conservation Issues
danchip1
Organisation: Devon
Interests: Doing the right thing
Cooking and eating curry

conservation for newspaper advert

Post by danchip1 »

I would like to frame a newspaper advert. it is full page in size, with several different colours.

I understand that the ink and paper quality will be very low...

Is there any milage in putting it behind tru vue conservation or similar, would this preserve it for years to come?

I have an ad in my shop from a newspaper behind TVCC that is still looking good after a year or so, but would it last for 20 or 30 years?

Thanks in advance
Roboframer

Re: conservation for newspaper advert

Post by Roboframer »

Artcare boards front and back and TruVu CC will help a lot; how long it will last will depend - apart from quality of materials, on where it is hung - wouldn't like to take a guess.

If it's a National paper, in 20 or 30 years time it may be possible to buy another, and an original. I've got an original copy of The Times from the day I was born - sliiiiiiightly more than 30 years ago - it's a bit yellow, esp around the edges, but it's OK.

Then there's the option of a scan/photograph and print on high quality paper with lightfast inks - and in that case I'd say 20 - 30 years easy with the above materials and a good position - and as well as the possibilty of buying another original - it's digitally stored - just make a few clicks for a bright new copy. :D
framejunkie
Organisation: framejunkie
Interests: 6.9%APR; 21.3%APR

Post by framejunkie »

danchip1 wrote:but would it last for 20 or 30 years?
The problem with newspaper cuttings is that the paper they use is not de-acidified. Using Artcare and TruVue Conservation Clear will slow the aging process but ultimately the paper will destroy itself. (Keep it in the dark in an Argon-filled box and this will still happen slowly!)

An expensive long-term solution is to send it to a paper conservator for de-acidification, but do it now - don't wait for it to go all yellow and brittle
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

danchip1 wrote:Is there any milage in putting it behind tru vue conservation or similar, would this preserve it for years to come?
Hi Dan,

Yes, conservation glass can help a lot. Colour inks in newspapers are unlikely to be formulated with long term preservation in mind, so conservation glass will be an important factor in controlling and fading due to UV light exposure.

Also UV exposure can accelerate the breaking down of any lignin present in the paper to form acetic acid. If the paper needs preserving then conservation glass is an obvious first move, followed by deacidification as the next smart move.

The paper used for newsprint is not known for it's durability and in some cases an auxilary support material may be added to the reverse face of the paper to help it withstand further effect of deterioration with the passage of time.

Since you are poping over in the next few days, I'll talk you through some of these details when you come over.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
WelshFramer
Organisation: Neuadd Bwll Framing
Interests: Does running a framing business leave any time for interests?

Post by WelshFramer »

Somewhere I saw an adverts for a spray that would de-acidify newspapers. I have a feeling it might have been on YouTube and might have been being demonstrated by Vivien Kistler.

Sorry to be so vague but there might be enough keywords in the above for a Google search to turn up something.
Mike Cotterell
Neuadd Bwll Framing

http://www.welshframing.com
My status
prospero

Post by prospero »

Seek and ye shall find. :shock:

[youtube]GK8vP4r3wCE[/youtube]
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
prospero

Post by prospero »

[youtube]GK8vP4r3wCE[/youtube]
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
WelshFramer
Organisation: Neuadd Bwll Framing
Interests: Does running a framing business leave any time for interests?

Post by WelshFramer »

Well found.

Now we just need a UK distributor...
Mike Cotterell
Neuadd Bwll Framing

http://www.welshframing.com
My status
framemaker

Post by framemaker »

I think PEL sell it, I am sure Roboframer has mentioned it before on some thread...
danchip1
Organisation: Devon
Interests: Doing the right thing
Cooking and eating curry

Post by danchip1 »

thanks guys, that was very helpful, i guess a combination of rag board, the wonder spray and uv glass will go a long way to retaining the quality of the piece for years to come

thanks again
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

danchip1 wrote:................ i guess a combination of rag board, ...................
No-one mentioned rag board.

Basic non-cotton artcare boards out perform non-artcare cotton boards.

Leaving the artcare bit aside - true preservation quality boards are made from alpha cellulose - it does not matter if that is WOOD alpha cellulose or COTTON alpha cellulose - they are both equally free of acid - just that the wood alpha cellulose took longer to process.

This makes a mockery of the FATG's 'museum level' of framing and 'cotton museum' standard of mountboard - but it's a fact.