Tate Anoxic Frames

Conservation Issues
TateArtGallery
Organisation: Tate
Interests: Anoxic Framing

Tate Anoxic Frames

Post by TateArtGallery »

Calling all professional framers!

The Tate Art Gallery is currently working on an exciting project to create an Anoxic Frame, designed to isolate and house artwork away from the degenerative effects of the surrounding environment, but still allowing the artwork to be displayed.

Tate Anoxic Frames are sealed enclosures in which the air is replaced by an inert gas. The frame reduces damage to artworks caused by oxidation and fading, as well as maintaining a constant relative humidity. Developed by Conservation Scientists at Tate for works of art on paper, the frames can also protect other materials. Certain pigments (such as Prussian Blue) are better protected in hypoxia (e.g. 5% oxygen) which is also possible using Tate Anoxic Frames.

As the project progresses we would like to assess general trends around Anoxic Framing and gauge the interest in such a product. To assist us in achieving this we have drawn up a short survey, which can be found through the link below. If you are a professional framer and would be interested in offering this product in the future, please take the time to complete the survey and leave your details at the end.

Thank you!

http://accenture.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID= ... x6jJXBNCFm
Dermot

Re: Tate Anoxic Frames

Post by Dermot »

Welcome to the forum.

What a wonderful project, I wish you every success with it, as time and understanding progresses I have no doubt that Anoxic Frames will be come an important addition methods a picture framer will offer to provide a high level of preservation framing.

I have already taken the survey a few months ago.
TateArtGallery
Organisation: Tate
Interests: Anoxic Framing

Post by TateArtGallery »

Thank you for your kind welcome and words!

The project is indeed incredibly exciting and hopefully framers will soon be able to offer these anoxic frames to their customers, thus ensuring that works are preserved in their intended state for future generations. The benefits for galleries are also potentially huge, with the aim for longer exhibitions, longer tours, brighter galleries and works being displayed that previously have not been displayable due to their fragility.

The current survey is actually a different survey to the previous effort, so please feel free to take this one as well if you have the time (although it is very short!).
Dermot

Post by Dermot »

That's that survey done.

Please keep us up-dated about your progress with the project.

You could also consider putting the survey out to members of the US picture framers forum www.thegrumble.com this would greatly widen your audience within the picture framing community, asides from this forum there are some framers on the Grumble who take preservation picture framing very seriously.
Framer Dave

Post by Framer Dave »

I've been asked about this sort of framing, and right now there are no realistic options available. I look forward to seeing more information.
Framer Dave

Post by Framer Dave »

Any updates? I took the survery and left my information, haven't heard anything yet.