Computer Type for CMC

Share your CMC experiences.
Or seek help and advice
Dermot

Computer Type for CMC

Post by Dermot »

Desk top or Lap top…..or does it matter!!!

I’m thinking of a Lap top with a dock station and possible a separate large screen……..I can get a great deal on some Dell stuff this weekend…(special staff deals :D ) ….having a Lap top means I could do some designs away from the physical location of the CMC…

XP or Vista or does it matter with the Valiani!!!

Input please….
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Re: Computer Type for CMC

Post by Merlin »

Hi Dermot

You could work with a Laptop.
The connection to the control box is now via a USB port.

However once into design mode within MatDesigner or even with Corel, you will be using a mouse a lot. I am not sure that a laptop mousepad will give you that degree of accuracy.

The latest Valiani Software is for WIN XP.

It will run in VISTA but it means turning OFF the User Account Control (UAC) which is a pain because it keeps asking you for permission.

Personally, I would go for a Desk top, that way it stays strapped to the CMC.
John GCF
Jonny2morsos
Organisation: Northborough Framing
Interests: Fly Fishing, Photography and Real Ale.

Post by Jonny2morsos »

Hi Dermot

If you are looking at a docking station and separate screen then I imagine you really want a portable desktop.

If the portable element is not vital I would choose a desktop. Dell prices are pretty keen on their desktop range and the Valiani software does not need a very high spec so you could even have one of each. But, do go for the "XP Upgrade" for the reasons Merlin advises. You will get the Vista disks as well so can always swap to Vista as and when.

Can we assume your decision of CMC is made in favour of Valiani?

John.
Dermot

Post by Dermot »

Thanks guys, I have a desk top with an XP upgrade/downgrade from Vista which I don’t really use….it is only eight months old, it can be used for the CMC.

Will look at the options I can use for EstLite on a lap top (have it on my personal lap top a VOSTRO at present) I need to have a look at what I need for Pre-View……..perhaps a standalone lap top or is it better on the same system as the EstLite….

My set up will be that the office work area will be separate from the workshop area….the workshop will only have a very small customer reception area, most of the keyboard work I would expect to do in my office area.

I think the staff deals I can get from Dell this weekend are strictly VISTA only no upgrade/downgrade….some sort of cancelled order they are letting staff have at bargain basement prices…