Mount-Mat Board used on a Valiani CMC

Share your CMC experiences.
Or seek help and advice
Dermot

Post by Dermot »

Hopefully I will be up and running with my Valiani by mid April.

I need to decide on the mount-mat board I will use for most general day to day work ….

Can you share your thoughts on what mount-mat board that you use…I understand that some boards work in different ways….

Many thanks

Dermot
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Re: Mount-Mat Board used on a Valiani CMC

Post by Merlin »

We have not tried a lot of mountboards.
So all we can say is that we use Arqadia and they have given consistent good quality cuts.
The Bainbridge range are OK but for some reason the boards seem thinner, yet they are quoted at 1400 micron.
John GCF
Jonny2morsos
Organisation: Northborough Framing
Interests: Fly Fishing, Photography and Real Ale.

Post by Jonny2morsos »

Hi Dermot

We have used a fair number of mount boards on our machine and not found much noticable difference. I think the main factor is making sure the blade has not dulled. If any doubt we change the blade because although they are more expensive than most other blades they are still less than the piece of mount board you might waste.

We have used Brittannia Standard White Core/Conservation, Colourmount, Daler Rowney, Arqadia, Cresent Museum and like Merlin find the thicknesses to vary e.g. Daler 1400 micron is definitely thicker than Brittania quoted as the same thickness. The Daler & Colourmount seem to have a tougher core than others we use which means changing the blade more frequently. We set the blade very slightly over depth which seems to produce better results. Always worth doing a test cut on scrap of course.

We use two pieces of mountboard on top of the base board to prevent damage because you do occasionally forget to reduce the depth of cut after doing a double mount. That way you cut through the top one leaving the bottom one to protect the bed.

Have fun and in response to your training question get as much as you can and keep notes because you will forget.

John.
markw

Post by markw »

Bainbridge artcare - most boards cut well - a few in the range that need a new blade to get a first class cut. Some colours tend to leave a residue on the roller that will show if the next cut is a light colour - It will rub off without any problems. Boards with special finishes are sometimes best cut face down.
Jonny2morsos
Organisation: Northborough Framing
Interests: Fly Fishing, Photography and Real Ale.

Post by Jonny2morsos »

We have also found colour transferring to the roller on some black boards especially Crescent Museum and like Mark we cut suedette boards face down. Multi apertures with mountslips are great as these are also cut upside down giving a nice edge to butt the slip up to.

OK I know you can use the reverse bevel attachment on a Keencut but its so much easier just to turn the board over.

John.