Calligraphic Scroll

Upload/download patterns, templates, designs.
James Miller
Organisation: ARTFRAME, Inc.
Interests: Picture framer; author of "THE COMPLETE GUIDE TO SHADOWBOXES AND FRAMING OBJECTS" and "MOUNTING OBJECTS WITH CLEAR FILM"; writer of feature articles for Picture Framing Magazine, USA; framing educator.

Calligraphic Scroll

Post by James Miller »

Attached are a couple of photos taken of the scroll design I created from scratch in Corel Draw Sunday afternoon. I have tried only a few cuts of this, but it seems to work well with the green, red, white cutting heads, as well as the purple debossing head.

The cutting depth needs to be something less than the mat thickness, because the ovals fall out (duhh) if the design is cut entirely through the board. That may be workable if they would stay in position, but they inevitably fall into the blade path and make a mess of the cuts.

I will experiment with temporary adhesive on the back of the mat, in order to retain the position of cutout ovals, which could then be placed on a background color beneath the cut mat.

I was concerned about the machine's ability to cut small radii, but no worries about that now
Scroll 5x2 Debossed on suede-LoRes.jpg
Scroll 10x3 on mat.bevels 45-LoRes.jpg
Scroll 10x3 on mat.bevels 45-LoRes.jpg
Scroll 5x2 on gray mat-LoRes.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim Miller
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Re: Calligraphic Scroll

Post by Merlin »

Brilliant Jim

Thank you.

The second image - on 4 ply - Did you V groove and scalpel out the waste or full cut and replaced the fall outs.
John GCF
James Miller
Organisation: ARTFRAME, Inc.
Interests: Picture framer; author of "THE COMPLETE GUIDE TO SHADOWBOXES AND FRAMING OBJECTS" and "MOUNTING OBJECTS WITH CLEAR FILM"; writer of feature articles for Picture Framing Magazine, USA; framing educator.

Post by James Miller »

The cut depth was set to about "8" on the knob. After cutting, I removed the top paper with tweezers. The rough, white surface is the core paper after shredding away the top paper.

I meant to attach the files, but worked with a framing customer and ran out of editing time.
Scroll by Jim Miller 4-6-09.Fu2
Scroll by Jim Miller 4-6-09.cdr
Scroll 5x2 on black mat.Cuts 90 deg. LoRes.jpg
Please excuse my duplicate image and mistaken caption on one...I'm a framer, not a computer operator, you see.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim Miller
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Post by Merlin »

Oh clever, You used the 90 head, so you get more of a channel..

Will have a go tomorrow then
John GCF
leechie

Post by leechie »

Impressive!
Conservation Framer
SAFA Certified

www.artwanted.com/leechie

''The Past does not equal the future''
carter2

Post by carter2 »

Since scrolls can be either a roll of papyrus, parchment or paper which can be painted upon, One of the typical materials for scroll painting is silk long before the discovery of paper. Since one of the qualities of silk is its non-absorbance.

So it is indeed a good scroll but you need to concentrate more on its qualities :clap:
FineArtInn
Organisation: Fine Art Inn
Interests: Gunnar CMC's

Post by FineArtInn »

Awesome work thanks for sharing!
frameartnyc
Organisation: Frame Art NYC
Interests: To design new frames innovatively by using different materials, different size, color, theme and others.

Post by frameartnyc »

Hey James,
You have done an awesome job on Corel draw. The first and second drawing is really amazing if its done at the platform of Corel Draw. :clap: