Software For Hobbyist to design simply matting

Software related questions, and
suggestions for new features or improvements.
xclusive252
Organisation: none
Interests: making shadow boxes and fishing

Software For Hobbyist to design simply matting

Post by xclusive252 »

Hello all I am very new to making picture frames to hang on my wall and I will include a picture of a shadow box I made at the end of this post. I am looking for a software that is inexpensive or free seeing in I do not or plan on selling any frames this is for me to tinker around with for my house and a friend or 2 that might want one. The Software that I am looking for is to customize matting for shadow boxes. I make them to put my football jerseys in and I am having a hard time finding a design I like or someone to help me out. I have a store that will cut the matting for me but wants to charge an arm and a leg to make the design. Can someone please help me.
Attachments
IMG_3273.JPG
IMG_3273.JPG (2.55 MiB) Viewed 4591 times
poliopete
Organisation: Annie Lou Fine Framing
Interests: Caring for my wife, Picture Framing and Natural History

Re: Software For Hobbyist to design simply matting

Post by poliopete »

Hello Xclusive252 and welcome to the Framers Forum :D

Looking at your sports shirt and your reference to "matting" I guess you are based in the US. If that is the case then you may get more help and response to your query by logging on to "The Grumble" a US framers site as we are based in the UK.

I am sorry I can't help with your question about software, but if I may point out Computerised Mount/Matt Cutters (CMC's) cost tens of thousands of dollars and the framer requires a return on his/her investment plus, rent, utilities and taxes need to be paid, may help explain why the cost appears high.

Peter.
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Post by JFeig »

No offense Xclusive252; but, you are asking a question similar to going to a restaurant and asking them to cook your steak for your dinner at home. There is work in preparing that steak, even if you give them the instructions.

A basic design can be done in any free "paint" program.
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
xclusive252

Post by xclusive252 »

Tha k you all. I’m assuming you all are framers and run a business and want to make the most bang for your buck and I understand. I myself own my own construction business. I am looking to give the layout to a framing store near me to make the matting and cut the glass for the frame I made I just would like to design the matting myself so it is what I want and not what they want to do. Sorry if I offended anyone on this site and I assumed I could get an answer. Again thank you and I will try the US location on this forum like you suggested.
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Post by JFeig »

A good framer can work from a pencil sketch with dimensions as well.
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
xclusive252

Post by xclusive252 »

Thank you maybe I will do that. Seems easy and all I need is paper a ruler and a pencil.