Camera problems.

Software related questions, and
suggestions for new features or improvements.
PeterG

Camera problems.

Post by PeterG »

Hi,

Has anyone had any problems connecting a Canon PowerShot A520 to a computer running Windows XP with USB2, I keep getting a USB Device malfunction (The camera works on my laptop).

I know its not a Pre-view issue but someone may have the answer while I wait for the canon helpdesk to get back to me.

:?
John
Site Admin
Organisation: Scenes Picture Framing
Interests: Forums and stuff

Post by John »

Hi PeterG, welcome to the forum.

If you have previously installed the driver for another Canon camera, there may be a conflict issue and you will have to uninstall all the Canon stuff and start from scratch.

Otherwise I am guessing a hardware problem.

Try:
  • Using to a different USB port, specially changing from a port at the front of the computer to one at the back.

If using an extension cable, ensure that it is an active repeater, an ordinary extension is just not up to the job.

If the above is of no help, I would suspect the motherboard of your desktop
PeterG

Post by PeterG »

Hi John,

Thanks for the advice.

I have removed all traces of canon software and reinstalled several times and tried every USB port on the desktop at work and at home (different motherboard) but to no avail.

The active repeater extension cable suggestion would explain why I get the same error message on the laptop when I add an ordinary extension.

I don't fancy replacing the motherboard after trying 2 canon cameras 3 computers and several cables, maybe if I threaten the computer with serious violence it will work. :lol:
PeterG

Post by PeterG »

Hi John,

Just to let you know the active repeater has got the camera working on all computers.

Thanks for your help.
Peter Gregson