always asking for moreII

Software related questions, and
suggestions for new features or improvements.
markw

always asking for moreII

Post by markw »

John
about this time of the year i get confused - i look at the history screen and think " where am I"? Have i ordered in that moulding - that jobs on hold awaiting moulding etc. You solved the last swipe at this problem by implimenting the check box that allows for job complete etc, and that works well. How about colour - the ability to colour code jobs could add numerous customised options - account customer late paying - big red band - job temporarily on hold - green etc. Most of my mouldings are purchased chop and i need to know whats ordered and whats delivered - colour coded this would make the task very simple.

something to ponder over that nice Christmas break.
John
Site Admin
Organisation: Scenes Picture Framing
Interests: Forums and stuff

Post by John »

Will look very closely at this one Mark, I like it.

Thanks for the suggestion.

John
John
Site Admin

Post by John »

Sorry Mark,

Didn't read your post properly.

While it is possible to colour-code the lines in our table in order to highlight information, the colour can only be generated from data that already exists. So while it would be no problem to add different colours for jobs which have not been collected, or jobs which use NR glass, etc., because we can easily extract this data, how would the program know such things as "customer late paying"?

I will be looking at the possibility of extending the number of fields in the job table, the trick will be to do it in such a way that existing users can upgrade seamlessly without them having to start over with a new blank history of jobs and customers. I don't want to leave anybody behind as features are added.
markw

Post by markw »

John

The colour would be added as highlight to existing jobs in the history list as a visual signal - the meaning of the colour would be completly controlled by the person adminastrating the list. literaly a highlight to aid the memory - i wouldnt expect to be able to define a seperate list - just have a highlight facility that can be switched on or off on a particular line or lines within the history list.
John
Site Admin

Post by John »

Unfortunately it's not as easy as that Mark. The row colour has to be stored somewhere in order for the program to 'remember' the colours from one session to the next. We would need a field(column) to hold this information, and there are just no spare fields.

There is a brute-force way that new fields might be added, however I am hoping that in the quiet days after the holiday, I'll be able to retire to a darkened room and figure out a more elegant solution.
markw

Post by markw »

John - I just didnt want you to get bored over Christmas. Large glass of whisky - darkened room, i am sure you will come out with something.