Option to Backup on Quit?

Software related questions, and
suggestions for new features or improvements.
Grahame Case

Option to Backup on Quit?

Post by Grahame Case »

Hi John,

any chance of offering the option for estlite to autobackup to a selected folder on quitting?

We are looking at ways of backing up daily to our drop box - but automating the procedure.
John
Site Admin
Organisation: Scenes Picture Framing
Interests: Forums and stuff

Re: Option to Backup on Quit?

Post by John »

Some sort of auto backup feature would be a great Idea Grahame. I am constantly surprised by the number of people who do not backup their vital data, even though EstLite has a very reliable and easy to use, backup and restore feature already built in.

As well as using the one click backup feature within EstLite, at Scenes we protect ourselves by doing a complete backup of our hard drive once a week to an external drive that we store in a fire safe. In addition we use Mozy to backup our EstLite and spreadsheet files online every two hours. Should we suffer a catastrophic computer failure, we could be quickly up and running on a brand new machine with little or no loss of data.

The only downside to your idea Grahame is that it would kill the plan that was just hatching in my mind to charge a fat fee to re-register users who can't be bothered to make their own backups. :)
Grahame Case

Post by Grahame Case »

does Mozy work on a server connected by networked machines? because the Database files tend to be shared across the network, which is why you can't drop box your estlite folder if you have a networked setup.

I like the idea of a backup on quit thing, as it forces people to consider backing up their important data! -
John
Site Admin
Organisation: Scenes Picture Framing
Interests: Forums and stuff

Post by John »

Yes Grahame, Mozy will backup the files on a server.