BBEst

Software related questions, and
suggestions for new features or improvements.
GeoSpectrum
Organisation: Ashcraft Framing
Interests: Family, x-country skiing, wine, art, Jazz

BBEst

Post by GeoSpectrum »

Hi,

I'm using the 30 day trail of BBest to help me work out my pricing and I want to include labour charges. Is there a prefered way of doing this? I can't see a field marked 'Labour'. I dont really want to add a standard markup to cover labour as the time taken will vary for diffrent jobs and mouldings. Any tips from the forum?

Thaks

GS
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
Bespoke Easels and Self-assembly tray frames
http://www.ashcraftframing.co.uk
JohnMcafee
Organisation: Scenes
Interests: Picture Framing
Putting the world to rights

Re: BBEst

Post by JohnMcafee »

Hi GS,

BBEst calculates the prices of the various elements of the frame based on material costs. It is up to you to cover the costs of producing each element (including labour etc.) when setting your prices and mark-ups.

You can access the program's help system by clicking on the Question mark on the upper left corner of the main screen, or by pressing the F1 button while in any other screen. There you will find a full description of how the program works.
"A little learning is a dangerous thing"

(Also known as John, the current forum administrator)
John Smalley GCF
Organisation: Springwell Arts
Interests: Framing, photography, architecture, music

Re: BBEst

Post by John Smalley GCF »

Hi GS
Ive tried various ways of including labour charges in material mark-up and gave up as some jobs were working out too cheap and others too expensive. I find it easier to give each job a complexity level based on total frame size and job complexity i.e single mount would be com. level 1 and a double mount with two 'V' grooves and deep foam fillets would be com level 4. I have a chart I use starting at 0cm - 70cm rising through six groups up to 451cm - 999cm with each group being given complexity levels from 1 to 10. I also make each step up in size group 50% dearer than the preceding one. I carry a laminated copy of this chart when I visit customers and I add this figure in the OTHER box on the pricing screen. I mark up materials a lot less than the labour inclusive system but make sure I'm covering my time by allotting a suitable com level for each job. I cannot claim to have invented this system as It has been used by a professional framer/trainer in the industry for years and I find it very consistent and fair.

Best wishes,
John Smalley