I don't use "Waste Factor", do you ?

Software related questions, and
suggestions for new features or improvements.
Bagpuss
Organisation: Adam The Picture Framer
Interests: TBA

I don't use "Waste Factor", do you ?

Post by Bagpuss »

Under the General Options tab there is a "Waste Factor" option, I don't use this currently, can anyone who does use this please confirm the effect of it ? I'm assuming a waste factor of 20% would effect the amount of moulding, glass, mountboard across the board by 20% wouldn't it ? What % do you use currently ?
Thanks in advance,
Adam/Bagpuss
My real name is Adam Laver aka "Adam The Picture Framer", just in case you were unsure ; )
Graysalchemy

Re: I don't use "Waste Factor", do you ?

Post by Graysalchemy »

Always use a waste factor otherwise you are paying for the bin next to your morso. Even commercial jobs (which tend to be more efficient) I cost in some amount of wastage. Wastage comes straight of your bottom line.

AG
Bagpuss

Post by Bagpuss »

Thanks for the reply, previously in Estlite, I have pushed up the mark-up factor to take into account wastage, I'm wondering if this waste factor actually applies the percentage across the moulding, mountboard, glass etc ?
Perhaps someone could confirm that for me ?
thanks,
Adam
My real name is Adam Laver aka "Adam The Picture Framer", just in case you were unsure ; )
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

I would give John a pm but I think it only applies to the moulding as mounts glass and backs are calculated from a unit price for a 40 x 50 cm mount , glas or back and hence you factor this in to begin with.

I am probably wrong. :giggle: :giggle:
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

It's across the board for glass, mount and fixing, it works out the price per proportions of the 40x50cm price then adds the waste factor then the min price to give you your selling price, you can press F1 to access help, which explains it
I'm sure thats right, but I hope John will explain it if not.

Steve

I use it by the way
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
markw

Post by markw »

I have always used Waste Factor. I decided a couple of years ago to do a proper evaluation of the figures I was using - Waste factor ended up being a very important part of the pricing balance.
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

I agree waste is quite considerable. I use estlite for my bespoke and one offs but for commercial jobs of a large number of pieces of the same size, I calculate exactly how many pieces I can get out of each component material and then calculate how much of each I will use. If not if you are doing a 700x700 piece you will end up with wastage of 55% :head: :head: on glass and backing board and about 40% on mount board.
Bagpuss

Post by Bagpuss »

markw wrote:I have always used Waste Factor. I decided a couple of years ago to do a proper evaluation of the figures I was using - Waste factor ended up being a very important part of the pricing balance.
thanks for everyone's comments,
I haven't used % waste at all so far, if I keep the % mark-up at a high enough rate for the moulding and the prices on glass, mountboard etc are at the right level, can I not cover my waste this way ? I'm sure there's a very good reason for using a % waste factor in EstLite, can anyone explain the advantages of using it instead of what I've been doing to date ?
Thanks Adam
markw

Post by markw »

A proper explanation - that sounds like one for John - he writes that stuff so will give you an intelligent answer. All I can say is that almost certainly having a high markup will cover wastage - but the way the markup works changes with moulding width - which generally means moulding price.

Waste factor for me seemed to give the figures I was looking for - my waste figure is over 33%.. now you might think - if you know that most of my moulding is purchased as chop then I have little waste - but that waste factor adds the difference in cost to cover the more expensive moulding - as well as all the things where I really do waste materials - Glass and mountboard.

I use Estlite for all transactions - If doing a large number of frames I apply a discount. I am not interested in getting a price down to a set margin but I would probably do the maths to make sure I was on the right side of a good profit. In fact I frequently look at random jobs to make sure that I am not doing the job cheap.
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

At times we all do jobs which are a bit on the cheap side but we have to tread a fine line between what people are prepared to pay and how much you want to make. I keep a tight reign on commercial jobs because if you get your wastage wrong then you base cost for moulding sours and eats away at the profit. Mind you very annoying when you calculate what lengths you can get out of a 2.8m noulding only to find the B*ggers send you 2.7m lengths.

:head:
JohnMcafee
Organisation: Scenes
Interests: Picture Framing
Putting the world to rights

Post by JohnMcafee »

To clarify, the program applies the waste factor (if any) to each dimension.

For the purpose of calculations we assume the moulding has a single dimension, length, defined as the perimeter distance around the outside of the frame. When computing the price of the frame, the program applies the waste factor directly to this length.

Whereas sheet material such as glass has two relevant dimensions, so the waste factor is applied to each dimension as the assumption is made that waste will have occurred when cutting to size both the width and the height.

If, for example, the waste factor has been set to 20% then the program will apply 20% waste when calculating moulding prices, and apply 36% waste when sheet material is cut.
"A little learning is a dangerous thing"

(Also known as John, the current forum administrator)
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

Very interesting John now I understand. :clap: :clap:

AG