problems when entering job details...

Software related questions, and
suggestions for new features or improvements.
Dr Jones

problems when entering job details...

Post by Dr Jones »

Good morning John,

Over the last couple of weeks all the girls in our shop who take in the framing work have mentioned a problem that occasionally occurs when entering job details on Estlite. Apparently, sometimes halfway through a ticket, they can't enter any details in any of the boxes (mount details, subject etc).
Can you think of any reason as to why this may be happening? Could they be doing something wrong?
We have been using Estlite for a couple of years now but this has only just started happening. I'm wondering if it's since a recent update.
Anyway I hope you can shed some light on this for us.
Many thanks, Martin.
JohnMcafee
Organisation: Scenes
Interests: Picture Framing
Putting the world to rights

Re: problems when entering job details...

Post by JohnMcafee »

Sorry Martin, the description of your problem is too vague to determine just where you might be going wrong.

Is there a pattern of keystrokes, mouse actions, button clicks, etc. that will always result in this inability to enter data?

I hesitate to mention this in case it is too obvious, but it is the only thing I can come up with: -
Wherever possible, the program tries to prevent operators from making silly errors. For example, if on the main screen you have priced a job that has no mount, then in the Details screen you will not be allowed to enter any mount details.
"A little learning is a dangerous thing"

(Also known as John, the current forum administrator)
Dr Jones

Post by Dr Jones »

Yes John, we've encountered the feature that you describe and it doesn't seem to be that. From what I'm being told there seems to be no apparent reason for it. We have three members of staff here who have all used Estlite since 2008 and this has only just started happening.
I've asked to be notified next time it happens so I can sit in front of it and scratch my head and look confused.If and when this happens I'll take a long hard look at it and see if I can provide you with a bit more information.
Thanks for your time, Martin.
JohnMcafee

Post by JohnMcafee »

When this happens, how is the situation resolved?

Can you return to the main screen and start again? Or is the program frozen and has to be shut down?

JohnMcafee

Post by JohnMcafee »

Another thought has occurred which I think may be a strong contender.

EstLite’s “focus” stays with any new (child) window that you open, meaning that only that window will accept input from the keyboard or respond to mouse clicks. Even though it may be possible to move the topmost window to one side, or minimise it, revealing the one underneath, the parent will remain unresponsive until the child has been closed.

For example, you would be unable to enter anything on the Details screen if you had opened, say, the History screen and then minimised it instead of closing.

Dr Jones

Post by Dr Jones »

This has certainly happened to me in the past John and did cross my mind. It just seems odd that it has only recently become an issue with everybody.
As I say, I will take a look next time it happens here and see if I can spot anything either to clear it up or furnish you with further details.
I'm hoping I will have the time to take in the jobs myself to see if this problem persists.

Many thanks, Martin.
JohnMcafee

Post by JohnMcafee »

When this happened, how was the situation resolved?

Was it possible to return to the main screen and start again? Or did the program freeze and have to be shut down?

Dr Jones

Post by Dr Jones »

Hello again John. It just happened to someone whilst halfway through typing in the 'remarks' box. I couldn't see any reason as to why it had happened but pressing CTRL and SHIFT solved it. I'm guessing this means something is being inadvertently pressed on the keyboard and causing the problem.
JohnMcafee

Post by JohnMcafee »

Looks like you are gradually homing in on the source of the problem.

In light of this most recent information I experimented with many key combinations while entering text into the Remarks box, but was unable to replicate the anomaly. However the exercise did remind me of certain keyboard combinations.
  • Ctrl-H : Backspace
  • Ctrl-C : Copy the highlighted text
  • Ctrl-X : Cut the highlighted text
  • Ctrl-V : Paste
  • Ctrl-Z : undo previous edit
  • Ctrl-[ : Escape (This will close the current window!)
  • Ctrl-Esc : Same as clicking the Windows Start button.
And while there is a combination of keystrokes on the main page that will reveal an Easter egg, I hope that anyone discovering it will find it to be more of an entertainment than a bug.

So, for now Martin, it looks like you are best placed to solve this one. Please don’t hesitate to post any new information that you think might help pinning this down.