Chop Service Calculation

Software related questions, and
suggestions for new features or improvements.
ImagesLen

Chop Service Calculation

Post by ImagesLen »

How would I set up the calculations for chop service inclusion whereupon the price is increased by a fixed amount per metre for the total amount used.

Cheers
markw

Chop price calc

Post by markw »

ImagesLen
Apart from setting a waste percentage in the EST setup you probably dont allow for: needing 2mts and stocking 4mts - hoping that you will use the remaining at an opportune time - Chop takes away the problem - you pay for what you use. I dont use any different calcs for chop - i have a high wastage allowance built into my setup - this balances the two methods of purchasing allowing for comparible profit margins on both. I would add that if i have a large order for frames that i know i can cut with little wastage then i would consider ordering lengths - i have the option of ordering chop and length on the same order - they arrive the next day - i will make more profit on the lengths - thats a bonus for me - or a discount for the customer, depends on my generosity. Of course I sometimes get orders for multiple large frames - I know that i might waste enormouse amounts on length - although I am paying more for chop i will be quids in - and to be honest sometimes wonder how chop can make sufficeint profit for the supplier.

90% of my orders are for chop - i order hundreds of pounds worth every week - i have a habit of checking back cost against the order - and often find that i have made a bigger profit margin on the chop than against jobs where i have had to order in a moulding that my main chop supplier doesnt stock -

couple of points - my frame cost is calculated to make a reasonable profit margin on the cost of the moulding - but I also make part of my profit margin on all other elements - glass -mount etc. I always cost in - fixing canvases - fixing glass for reframes etc - in other words i add extra factors in when i dont have a "normal" framing job - this goes a long way towards offsetting the extra cost of chop when the frame element is the major cost framing - (canvases would be the most obvioius case).
I like to think that I can make a pretty good guestimate of the real cost of framing - how long will it take - my customers are sometimes mystified by my "other" charge - Labour is my answer and explanation of the process and the complications involved - but this strays from the point - chop works - try it.
John
Site Admin
Organisation: Scenes Picture Framing
Interests: Forums and stuff

Post by John »

ImagesLen

Having little experience with chop, I'm not sure that I understand your question. Do chop suppliers increment their charges in full metre steps? (ie rounding up to the next full metre when calculating price) That would seem to be a bit coarse, and would probably warrant a tweak in the program to accomodate it. I seem to recall, though, that Lion rounded up in 6in increments at one time.

On the other hand, if you simply want to know how you could charge differently for the same moulding depending on whether supplied chop or length. Then you could just use two different names, each with their own price/metre, the second name might be the first name with a 'Chop' suffix.

But in light of Markw's reply, you might be able to set a single price which would accomodate both.

John