looking good

Software related questions, and
suggestions for new features or improvements.
markw

looking good

Post by markw »

Well - Ive looked at a few POS offerings recently and I am fairly sure that Ive already got the best one on offer.

Framers Forum Live gave me the chance to look at a number of alternatives but I'me sticking with my opinion that EstLite does it as well as all the others - and on many things does it better.
I know that John has always said that he wants to minimise the information that needs to be typed in - and thats the first thing you notice when looking at other vendors - lots of inputting and in most cases a distinct lack of linked software to complete the task for you (PSD Post code info is a real time saver - and results in a very usable database of names and addresses). EstLite is also more graphically presented than the other contenders - although its one of the factors that I think all POS systems need to take a long hard look at - We are spoilt nowadays with softwares that just look so good - I'me greedy and want the same presentation.

They (the POS softwares) all have slightly different ways to achieve the same result - its really how they present that result - and how they detail your business model - are they flexible enough to give you a different costing breakdown for different customer types - do they allow your best customers to have a loyalty discount - Trade customers discounts - readymade pricing - stock inventory etc.

I love lifesavers ability to be flexible - its stock inventory is fantastic and its reporting ability second to none - but its still too intensive on input - and just a touch too keen to print out reams of paper. Eric Crowe has shown massive commitment to making lifesaver a valid UK product - discussed with many framers around the UK as to what they think of his software - and taken on board the comments - but I bet that many like me were comparing it to EstLite and thinking that if we had some of those advanced functions then Est's ease of use would blow the others out of the water.

I still have a preference for the aperture out way of pricing and think that Est would benefit from some automation of this function (possibly pre defining the mat widths on the job entry screen(1) ) and networking on Est needs some more attention - but its a facility provided FOC on Est that comes with a hefty price tag on others. Dymo label implementation has shown some real promise - along with barcoding and QR code generation - This all bodes well for some of those more advanced features of pricing other stocked items. Almost live stock lists is comparable if not a little in advance of other systems - and SMS customer messaging seems to be unique. - No I will stick to my original opinion - EstLite is still a very good POS - with a lot going for it - its just that those other systems are starting to look good - but also looking very expensive for little or no advantage in usability
Roboframer

Re: looking good

Post by Roboframer »

I saw something I liked in another system - I don't know how estlite compares or if it doesn't, could be adapted, but it's not been mentioned here so I'm not gonna detail it because this sub-forum is a dedicated estlite one; not one for discussion of or comparison to other systems, which I think this is inviting.

If it was the genreral techie sub-forum ..............................
kev@frames
Organisation: Moonshine Framing Penzance
Interests: 4 or 5 ...

Post by kev@frames »

if we are making feature requests/suggestions:
I'd also like to see an option for working from the aperture outwards.
JohnMcafee
Organisation: Scenes
Interests: Picture Framing
Putting the world to rights

Post by JohnMcafee »

Aperture outwards? No Problem!

EstLite's method could not be easier, just add the mount size (use the + key) when entering the aperture width and height.

For example, aperture 20in high by 16in wide, 3in mount with bottom weighting of 1in.

In the Height box: 3+20+4
In the Width box: 3+16+3

Early in the program's design I considered adding buttons and edit controls, but in the end rejected this as imposing far too much faffing about on the user to achieve the same result.
"A little learning is a dangerous thing"

(Also known as John, the current forum administrator)
kev@frames
Organisation: Moonshine Framing Penzance
Interests: 4 or 5 ...

Post by kev@frames »

neat, all these years using it and I never knew it could do that! :yes:
all this time we have all (in our shop) been working out the size in our head first before entering the final frame W&H in the boxes.
I like the way that works - the feature is in there but you don't have to use it. an optional feature without buttons to press.
yes, I know, don't say it:
RTFM :head: