Edge Sealing

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
joh5nny
Organisation: Tutto Framing
Interests: Photography, walking, travel

Edge Sealing

Post by joh5nny »

I know that not everybody does this, but I like to seal the sandwich of glass, mount and backboard. This way I find I can leave sandwiches part completed and ready for framing at a later stage without fear of dust ingress.

I've always used Eco tape and generally speaking it's been fine. Occasionally I've had a problem sandwich where the tape doesn't stick, but the instances have been few and far between. Increasingly, however, I'm finding that the Eco tape doesn't stick very well. I know this sort of tape can absorb moisture and be affected by it, so I've recently bought some new stock to see if it makes a difference. Unfortunately it's still hit and miss.

I've had a delivery today of Arqadia art tape which Arqadia state can be used for edge sealing. To be honest, it's way worse than the Eco tape, so no point pursuing that. I knew it would also be an expensive way of edge sealing, but was willing to pay that bit extra if it stuck properly.

I've tried Sekisui tape, but that doesn't work either.

So my question is whether there's anyone else who does edge sealing and do they have a tape they recommend?

Thanks
Chris_h
Organisation: www.TheUKLandscape.com
Interests: Photography, Football, F1, printing & framing www.Photographyprinting.co.uk

Re: Edge Sealing

Post by Chris_h »

I use P-90 tape, tried others but always prefer P-90 as it's easy to peel back off the glass if required.
absolute framing
Organisation: Absolute Framing
Interests: Reading the Lion Catalogue

Post by absolute framing »

P-90 here as well
works a treat! using it for 8 years after ditching brown kraft tape,
Stephen Strahan
Framie
Organisation: Anything Framed
Interests: Custom Framing, Hand Finishes and Multi Aperture Mounts.

Post by Framie »

Yep, P90 is perfect :D
Anything Framed
joh5nny

Post by joh5nny »

Super thanks. Just spoken to Wessex and I've got a roll of P90 coming in the morning. Will let you know how I get on. Thanks.
prospero

Post by prospero »

I use masking tape mainly. You are right about adhesion issues. I think it's something to do with the weather. :lol:
But I don't worry too much because once in the frame it isn't going to shift far and it still remains tacky, all the better
to snare any invading black flies. I generally slap it on with a bit to spare and then run a blade around to trim it back
so it doesn't intrude past the rebate lip.
When it comes to coated glass that can scratch easily, I use P-90 and place it carefully so no trimming involved.
Wish it was a bit wider though... :roll:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I use the Linco frame sealing tape with it's own built in aluminium barrier. Not the cheapest, but certainly stays stuck and waterproof too. I charge extra for this service and do this for frames to hang in damp places. I use 4mm Correx for 100% waterproof backing and this always works a treat.

In this part of Devon, there are plenty of really old houses which go back centuries and it's a fairly damp county for much off the year and people don't mind paying extra for something which is and will stay completely waterproof, come what may!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
grahamdown
Organisation: The Village Framer
Interests: Photography, Mountainbiking

Post by grahamdown »

I prefer the Tessa tape - comes in different widths for multiple mounts etc. molds well and long lasting. Not the cheapest but I've never had a problem with it as very sticky yet easy to remove.
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Post by Justintime »

My American framing guide said scotch 810 tape, any reason not to use it??
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
prospero

Post by prospero »

Justintime wrote:My American framing guide said scotch 810 tape, any reason not to use it??
Whatever works for you. Masking tape is cheaper though. :D No flies in my frames. :lol:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
grahamdown
Organisation: The Village Framer
Interests: Photography, Mountainbiking

Post by grahamdown »

I always use Tessa tape. Flexible, seals well, lasts but easy to remove in the event of broken glass etc.
joh5nny

Post by joh5nny »

Thanks to everyone for their advice. I've actually been trying P90 since it was recommended quite a few times and I've found it to be really good. Expensive compared to the Eco tape I was using, but it's worth the reduction in stress! Might give the Tesa tape a go at some point too...