Stretcher bar sizes?

Ask for and give assistance

Stretcher bar sizes?

Postby +Rafe+ » Wed May 15, 2019 4:09 pm

Hi all,

I have a client who is looking to have two canvases stretched and framed. I have very little experience other than a workshop course and framing pre-stretched canvases.

I am trying to source the right size and probably type, bars for each and struggling with know what to order. I have been looking at Lion and can't seem to find a matching size, I have been looking at their premium range...

Any thoughts?

The image size of each canvas is -
- 595 mm x 395 mm
- 850 mm x 650 mm

Thanks
+Rafe+

Organisation: Photographer/Framer
Interests: Theatre, film, the arts, a bit of this, a bit of that

Mainline Strathdon

Re: Stretcher bar sizes?

Postby featurepiece » Wed May 15, 2019 4:58 pm

If you can't find the exact sizes you need there's always the option of losing a little of the image so it'll work with the closest smaller length (if you know what I mean & customer permitting of course). Or get yourself from stretcher bar type moulding and cut it to size - the only thing is there's no option for wedges to retighten the canvas in the event of sagging etc. Those sizes aren't that big so I wouldn't worry anyway :)

Something like this would work ..

https://www.qualitywoodmouldings.com/pr ... tcher-bar/
featurepiece

Organisation: Featurepiece Frames
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Postby Justintime » Wed May 15, 2019 5:25 pm

This is who someone recommended the other day..
https://birdanddavis.com/
Justintime

Organisation: George the Framer
Interests: Art photography gardening framing

Postby +Rafe+ » Thu May 16, 2019 9:02 am

Thanks both!

I saw the post about customer stretcher bars just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

Have a good day all.
+Rafe+

Postby prospero » Thu May 16, 2019 9:55 am

Stretcher bar sizes have always been a pain. Off the shelf they come in 1" increments up to a certain size and then 2", which is
fine until you get a non-standard or metric size.

You have three options:

Get bars cut and routed to size.
https://www.harrismoorecanvases.co.uk/p ... -supports/
Superb quality, but more expensive.

Use solid bars which you can make yourself but no adjustment.

Use one of the comprise systems which you can adjust. Wessex STM0 is nice to use. The bigger 2-way one is a bit awkward.
You do have to cut your own wedges for the corners and getting the right thickness plywood is a bit tricky. :roll:
There is also a knack to using it.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
prospero

Postby +Rafe+ » Thu May 16, 2019 10:23 am

Thanks Prospero for the added detail and recommendation, thats really helpful.

I have only seen a picture of the work until the lady drops it off, the next hurdle to overcome is the small amount of excess material the one canvas seems to have, looks to be 25-30mm. :Slap:

Also looking at Arrow T50 Cordless Staple Gun - T50DCD to save my hands that I believe Justintime recommend...

Thanks again
+Rafe+

Postby Justintime » Thu May 16, 2019 10:54 am

I wouldn't trust any measurements that a customer gives, til its on the table in front of me..
I'd still recommend the Arrow stapler, its been great so far, saves the wrists..
Justintime

Postby +Rafe+ » Thu May 16, 2019 11:05 am

Of course and that was my caveat to my estimate I gave for the job. :D I also pointed out the possible issue with not having enough excess material.

Glad you are still fan of the stapler, my hands can be a bit stiff at times with my MS. Do you recommend an specificities size staples for canvas stretching?

Cheers!
+Rafe+

Postby Justintime » Thu May 16, 2019 1:53 pm

Yes, I picked the Arrow T50 staples, 5/16" /8mm stainless steel corrosion resistant. It's a while since I did the research into staples, there were even better types of metal for a lot more money. The size works for me.
Justintime

Postby Not your average framer » Thu May 16, 2019 4:26 pm

They are not particularly all that different from off the shelf sizes. If you've got a band saw with a tilting table , you can extend the edges of the cut away sections with a pencil and as if got an electric scroll saw, I can cut out end end between the band saw cuts without any problem. I probably could just about manage it with my coping saw as well, but I would find it a lot easier with the scroll saw.

Not all of us would go for doing this, but I would as I've already bought the equipment and after buying the equipment, it would be silly not to use it. You might be surprised how often some of these things come in useful. The main secret is good marking out and a well set up band saw that produes straight parallel cuts when cutting against the fence.

I frequently make new corner wedges to replace ones that have fallen out and got lost. My equipment is set up and more, less ready to roll. A bit of waste out of the bit, set the fence to the right distance and your set to go. If you are geared up to do these things and can be quick, you can charge a proper hourly rate for even just five minutes of work. Just do the sums and work out how much a proper hourly rate is for five minutes, it makes good sense!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Not your average framer

Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Return to Help!

• Advertisement

Picture Framer's Trade Directory
Picture Framer's Oracle

Members Map Header
Members Map
More info
Resources Header
Contact Forum Admin
Directory
How to include an image in your post
Cove Box Designer