Keencut Excalibur 5000 - Glass Cutting Conundrum

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Jag62
Organisation: ---
Interests: Biscuits

Keencut Excalibur 5000 - Glass Cutting Conundrum

Post by Jag62 »

Hi,

I'm experiencing an issue with my Excalibur 5000. When I cut glass it scores a perfect line until about 6 inches from the bottom then the score becomes quite faint. This almost always results in a perfect break down to the problem area and then a jagged break either to the left or to the right. I can't see any bend in the clamping beam or the back plate. Anyone experienced similar issues & any suggestions how to resolve (hopefully other than chuck it away & start again) ?!

Cheers,

Neil
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Keencut Excalibur 5000 - Glass Cutting Conundrum

Post by Not your average framer »

There are adjustable stop screws which set the distance of the glass cutting wheel from the face of the glas andthere are adjustments also for adjusting for excessive play in the sliding carriage of the main sliding rail, as to which one needs adjusting, this may take a little bit of investigation before trying to make any adjustments.

It's probably best to determine what needs to be adjusted, before making any adjustments. So,try and discover what needs adjusting, before going ahead adjusting anything, if you can.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Jag62

Post by Jag62 »

Thanks Mark, I've had another go at it this morning & may have solved it. I think the steel edge that sits behind the glass was fractionally distorted, perhaps from glass being previously clamped down against a shard. Now scoring properly but new problem is the bottom edge of the glass is getting nicked. Think this is down to a worn nylon bush which triggers the carriage release.

Thanks,
Neil
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

That is possible. Nylon bearings are often subject to wear. Maybe the travel of the glass cutting wheel needs adjucting a little, to ensure adeque contact with the glass at that point. Maybe buying a new glass wheel assembly, might be a good move as well. Unfortunately the difference between perfect glass cutting and problems, is often down to seemingly small things, which are very difficult to see! A spare glass cutting wheel won't go to waste, so perhaps it's worth getting one, just to illiminate the possibility.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
JonathanB
Organisation: Dovetail Framing
Interests: Travel, music and gardening

Post by JonathanB »

Neil - I find with my Excalibur that you do have to concentrate when cutting and make sure you keep an even pressure and ensure that the carriage reaches right to the very bottom each time. I find that if I take my eye off the ball I don't always cut right to the end of the sheet. Sounds strange, but it seems to work.
Jonathan Birch GCF (APF)
Not your average framer

That sounds about right, I had to be fairly careful at the bottom of the cut when I has a Keencut System 4000 and the Excalibur, was the replacement model for the System 4000, so Maybe this tendancy got copied over onto the Excalibur from the System 4000. Lots of machines have their foibles and sometimes you need to learn the knack and after that you're fine, but it's not always obvious at the start.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
Richard Photofusion
Organisation: Photofusion
Interests: Photography, and carting a young gymnast from class to comp to where ever the next sport is.*

*young, now a teenager...

Post by Richard Photofusion »

I'll add that the SteelTrak also requires mindful attention when cutting glass (at least, without the additional glass cutting kit), to avoid an additional curved bit on the LHS.
pepper
Organisation: Stuffed Pepper
Interests: All manner of craftiness, of course including picture framing!

Post by pepper »

Keencut have just launched a new website and it has its own forum https://www.keencut.com/support-forums/ probably a good idea to give that a go.
Jag62

Post by Jag62 »

Frustratingly the very next piece of glass I cut broke as per all the previous problem pieces. I've spent the whole day trying to sort the problem. Final job was to clean up the cutting wheel and in placing it back into the turret I noticed that it slides all the way into the turret & doesn't automatically seat in the right place - I have to pull it out & clamp in correct position. On checking the Keencut website I noticed that it's different to the glass wheel they list plus they show several other parts (spring, screw, etc) which I don't appear to have. Below is photo of the cutting wheel part I have - does anyone know if this is correct please ?

Regards,

Neil

This is what I have...
glass wheel.jpg
This is what is listed...
KNC-ST-GLASSCUTTER.jpg
Jag62

Post by Jag62 »

To answer my own question it looks like I have an early model Excalibur, so glasscutter body appears correct (as the more recent body wouldn't fit). I've tried the new helpcentre on Keencut website but no info there. Please can anyone advise how I contact Oliver at Keencut (who's been mentioned on several other threads) ?

Many thanks,

Neil