Double sided frame

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Felicity
Organisation: Makers' Gallery
Interests: Framing is the mainstay of my business. I particularly enjoy the challenge of working with textiles and delicate art works.

Double sided frame

Post by Felicity »

Hi All

Posted this a few hours ago onto the end of a thread - however that requires some scrolling to see the latest! Reposted here as a new topic for easier reading.

I've had a good read through the posts but still have a question regarding a double sided frame.
Currently my client's 16th Century leaf from a book is simply sandwiched between 2 pieces of glass. Going forward, I will be upgrading the glass to AR99%. Should the delicate paper go into archival polypropylene first, to protect against micro condensation? Or would the static of the polypropylene potentially damage the surface?

There is a very slim space between the sandwiched pieces of glass (thickness of the delicate paper only) and no back mount etc, so overall there's limited space for micro condensation within the package. I would expect however that this conservation issue isn't entirely eliminated.

If I went with polypropylene, as it appears to be the archival industry standard, does it impart much in the way of gloss through the glass? Good supplier?

Thanks all!
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Re: Double sided frame

Post by Justintime »

I would have a look back at Tudor Rose's reply to Rafe regarding mounting it between 3 layers of Cotton rag board. I don't see any less chance of micro condensation just because two sheets of glass are so close to each other. If the front is warm from room heating but the back sheet is next to a cold wall...
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Post by JFeig »

There are limits of what a picture framer can do regarding condensation without the assistance of the client.
The top requirements are:
- control the the climate in the room where the document (art) is being displayed away from direct sun and florescent light.
- keep the art off of outer and masonry walls.

in addition:
- all materials should be of the highest conservation grade
- UV filtering glazing is a must
- polyester film is better than polypropylene film
- the face glazing made from acrylic is less prone to condensation.
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
Jill Shea
Organisation: Framed of Frog Lane
Interests: Picture framing, textile work and mixed media art

Post by Jill Shea »

Are you able to attach it carefully between two opposite-facing mounts using archival tape? I would be very chary of putting anything that old in contact with glass. I've seen images get indelibly stuck to the glass in the past and it's not pretty.
Felicity
Organisation: Makers' Gallery
Interests: Framing is the mainstay of my business. I particularly enjoy the challenge of working with textiles and delicate art works.

Post by Felicity »

Thanks for comments everyone

I've attached some images this time. The piece includes a rather charming handmade 'mount' also made of thin paper, which appears to have been included for visual effect only. The client is keen to keep this as it is has historic appeal. For this reason I'm not inclined to introduce new mounts or boards.

I've yet to pull the piece apart, so fingers are crossed that nothing has adhered to the glass. I think I'll go for a polyester archival film to keep the papers separated from the glass, and will certainly pass on the important info about positioning.

Best brand for archival polyester?

Thanks again everyone
Attachments
IMG_3619.jpg
IMG_3618.jpg