Foil / alu wrap mouldings

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
girlfromkent
Organisation: None
Interests: Printmaking & ceramics

Foil / alu wrap mouldings

Post by girlfromkent »

Hi all

I've just got in some odd silver coloured aluminium wrapped moulding from LJ to match a customer's existing frame. It cuts badly on the morso but I think I've got something acceptable now. Main question is, it appears to have a plastic coating which is peeling off a bit at the back. Am I supposed to remove it?! 🤔

(The non main question is why does this fresh hell exist)

Thanks
Megan
David
Organisation: Silverstone Framing
Interests: Photography, Motor Racing, Military

Re: Foil / alu wrap mouldings

Post by David »

Horrible stuff isn't it.

Yes, remove the plastic film, the moulding marks/scratches very easily so careful once it has been removed. A trick I was told for flat versions is to cut it upside down, it gives a cleaner cut on the surface rather than a slight crush on the aluminium.

I used it a couple of times and never used it again.
girlfromkent
Organisation: None
Interests: Printmaking & ceramics

Post by girlfromkent »

Thanks David!

Yes, I'd like to say never again but I just bought a pack to save on delivery :head: and the customer has an ongoing collection she wants all done the same

** runs screaming into the distance **
Gesso&Bole
Organisation: Jeremy Anderson Picture Frame Maker
Interests: Framing pictures, testing out the latest gismos, and sharing picture framing knowledge

Post by Gesso&Bole »

We used to use 1000s of ft a month of this stiff in the 1980s! Glad to say I've not used it since.

Yes, cut it upside down, use a strip of mountboard behind it in the Morso, and peel off the plastic protection, and you will get a decent finish.
Jeremy (Jim) Anderson
Picture Framer and Framing Industry Educator
https://www.jeremyanderson.co.uk/
https://www.instagram.com/ja_picture_framer/
prospero

Post by prospero »

A little story...

A lady once brought me an ally wrapped frame to ask if I could 'touch it up' a bit. It was very tatty and scuffed.
While I was explaining that this type of moulding was basically untouchupable I had a thought. I took it into the workshop
an quickly peeled the protective plastic off which whoever framed it had left on. I returned with a pristine shiny silver frame.
The lady was amazed, even more so when I didn't charge her. Who says framers aren't magicians. :lol:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About