acrylic glazing

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
CalicoFraming
Organisation: Calico Framing
Interests: Picture framing, fine art

acrylic glazing

Post by CalicoFraming »

I've never had cause to use acrylic glazing... until now!

Can anyone tell me how one goes about cutting acrylic? Any other tips on using the stuff would also be appreciated.

Thanks!
:D
stcstc

Re: acrylic glazing

Post by stcstc »

do you have a sheet material wall cutter if so it will have blade for scor eand snap

if not use a stanley knife and straight edge, 3-4 light scores and then stap it over edge of workbench

well this is all depending on it no being like 10mm thick or anything :-)
Timh
Organisation: kingswood frames and mirors
Interests: framing and framing history manufacture of mouldings and decorated frames

Post by Timh »

Take a look in lion catalogue page 51
they sell scoring tools but you could get the scoring blades for a Stanley knife

we have had our scoring tool for years, always a handy thing to have around
StevenG
Organisation: Featurepiece Frames
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Post by StevenG »

As above - I just use my wall cutter with the proper cutting head, haven't done anything too thick though
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

I don't have a problem cutting it but I don't - I get it cut-to-size by Wessex, or, if I want thicker than 3mm, by these people. The reason is that the offcuts are pretty useless ... that is if the main reason for using acrylic is size/weight/safety. A 20x16" offcut of glass will be shifted in no time; I've got plenty of offcuts that size and larger that have been hanging around for years.
StevenG
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Post by StevenG »

Just took a look at 'these people' web site, totally lost with the amount of options :oops: Can I ask what is the most common type/thickness you use??
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

It's easily narrowed down, all you'll need is "Perspex/acrylic sheet" (you'll only be interested in the clear acrylic sheet in the drop down) and "Online quote cut to size"

Usually extruded acrylic (they do cast acrylic as well) but no common thickness, just anything over 3mm like I said. Our framing suppliers don't seem to do above 3mm unless it's the horrendously expensive optium museum stuff.
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

We currently use http://www.amariplastics.com/amariplastics/ because Wessex recommended them to us, but I will do a price comparison next time I need some ( I need some foamex next week ).
StevenG

Post by StevenG »

Cheers for that guys, good to have another resource should the need occur