Opinions on easiest board to cut mounts from

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Richard Photofusion
Organisation: Photofusion
Interests: Photography, and carting a young gymnast from class to comp to where ever the next sport is.*

*young, now a teenager...

Opinions on easiest board to cut mounts from

Post by Richard Photofusion »

Thanks to Ian in Cornwall, we have an exemely solid (well, heavy) C&H mount cutter for our community outreach programs. In order to help the participants gain confidence, and create moderately decent presentation of their photographs, I'd like to get a stock of the least tricky board for them to cut mats from. The aims are to enhance presentation, and develop awareness of options, and create confidence, rather than create perfect, archivally excellent examples.

I've read Threads here about materials that are lovely to look at, and a pain to work with. I'm looking for the materials that are pleasing on the eye, and more likely than not, to play nicely.
We have John Purcell paper around the corner, and regular deliveries from RK Burt and Lion, as well as a branch of Wessex just down the A23. What would you choose for ease (and price), to get the best chance of success, for beginners, with limited time and experience.

Many of our programs run to help people who have had less than optimal experience of education find a voice, and confidence in society. Some of our participants have become the first members of their families to go onto further education or into employment, or found their way out of gangs.
We're not training them to frame (we don't frame work here - lovingly stick things down to all sorts of things,after we have printed) but rather helping them to have the confidence that they can do... something. And to not make the process too difficult.
They'll be mounting a mixture of black and white (multigrade RC and FB) and inkjet (mainly Harman CrystalJet RC), so predominantly cool materials. Looking to hinge mount the work, so portfolio presentation looks better than secol polyester sleeves.

Sorry for the ramble - London to Cornwall was a bit of a trip.
GeoSpectrum
Organisation: Ashcraft Framing
Interests: Family, x-country skiing, wine, art, Jazz

Re: Opinions on easiest board to cut mounts from

Post by GeoSpectrum »

I think all of the major manufacturers boards would be fine. If you need to watch the spending the Wessex own brand board is good value and cuts well, and is uncannily similar to Daler. Minimum purchase is 5 boards. You can find cheaper, Mainline ownbrand for instance, but you may need to order in larger quantities.
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
Bespoke Easels and Self-assembly tray frames
http://www.ashcraftframing.co.uk
chris62
Organisation: Sansom Gallery
Interests: Photography/Carpentry

Post by chris62 »

I think Bainbridge is nicest to cut arqadia that I have tried is like cutting wood (tough)
prospero

Post by prospero »

Most mountboards available today are much of a muchness. As long as you stick to std thickness (app 1.5mm) you should have any issues. The main thing to consider is the cutter. Set the blade depth correctly and make sure the machine is squared up and calibrated properly. Always use a scrap piece ("a slip sheet") under the mount you are cutting. Don't try to squeeze the max mileage out of a blade. Blades are cheaper than mountboard. :wink:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Jonny2morsos
Organisation: Northborough Framing
Interests: Fly Fishing, Photography and Real Ale.

Post by Jonny2morsos »

GeoSpectrum wrote:If you need to watch the spending the Wessex own brand board is good value and cuts well, and is uncannily similar to Daler. Minimum purchase is 5 boards.
I would be surprised if it was not Daler