Urgent solution Nedded

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
bilalshreif
Organisation: Lollipopart
Interests: Framing, Conservation framing, fine art reproduction , fine art printing

Urgent solution Nedded

Post by bilalshreif »

Hello All,

I hope someone is experienced with this problem i encountered and might have a solution:

I have an exhibition for a photographer who printed Analog images on Ilford paper size is 120 x 80 cm and she wants me to mount them on Aluminum with a floating frame.
I mounted two of them using Double adhesive and the next day i was surprised that the two egdes ( that are the sides of the roll) are peeling off , i tried another double adhesive with same problem i tried Drytac facemount , and transfer double adhesive and also it peeled.
There are no other brands in the market and i dont have a hot press nearby to fix. Does anyone have any idea how this can be fixed i need to deliver this saturday!

Thanks a lot!
Tim
Organisation: Deepwell Framing
Interests: Photography, Growing it, Cooking it, Eating it. Sauvignon Blanc. Syrah.

Re: Urgent solution Nedded

Post by Tim »

Did you hand mount them, or use a roller mounter such as a JetMounter?
Youth and experience are no match for age and treachery...
bilalshreif
Interests: Framing, Conservation framing, fine art reproduction , fine art printing

Post by bilalshreif »

hey tim its roll mounted on a laminator (rolls roller)
thanks
Tim
Organisation: Deepwell Framing
Interests: Photography, Growing it, Cooking it, Eating it. Sauvignon Blanc. Syrah.

Post by Tim »

My GUESS would be that the temperature in your workshop might be too high, the roller pressure insufficient, or that the substrate you're using (double sided laminate) isn't neccessarily the correct laminate for attaching paper to aluminium.

There's a chap on the boards called Steve Goodall who's a master at this stuff, so he'll have a better idea. I know he was extra busy yesterday though, so he may not have had a chance to catch up with the boards since you posted.
Youth and experience are no match for age and treachery...
GeoSpectrum
Organisation: Ashcraft Framing
Interests: Family, x-country skiing, wine, art, Jazz

Post by GeoSpectrum »

Do you have high humidity? this can effect the adhesion of transfer film.
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
Bespoke Easels and Self-assembly tray frames
http://www.ashcraftframing.co.uk
FFrames
Organisation: TBD
Interests: Art

Post by FFrames »

Did you cover the aluminium panel with adhesive first, or did you cover the back of the print?

Also is it solid aluminium you're using or diabond? If it's solid alu, then you would need to clean the surface of first with some white spirit to get rid of grease and dust.

The print would need to be larger than the panel aswell to ensure that it sticks tight on all the edges... you would then trim these off adter mounting.
Richard Photofusion
Organisation: Photofusion
Interests: Photography, and carting a young gymnast from class to comp to where ever the next sport is.*

*young, now a teenager...

Post by Richard Photofusion »

We do a lot of aluminium, using Facemount from Hotpress. Clean the surface with isopropyl alcohol (IPA). Pressure needs to be "Just right" - on our jet mounter, we set the pressure so that a series of "keys" - 5 x(10x5") pieces of 2mm aluminium have equal resistance to moving across the nip of the rollers.

If the prints are RC, then they shouldn't want to move, if FB, then I'd flatten them under a suitable weight (glass sheet, or similar), to try to take out the curl, or between boards in a mounting press. Bromide prints do like to curl, and can be a pain, but once the adhesive cures, and this can be helped by having a moderate weight over the mounted print for the 1st 24hrs, should be fine.
bilalshreif

Post by bilalshreif »

Hey all and thanks for your prompt answers.
@ geospectrum : No Humidity is normal and temperature is mild all day long due to air condition.
@FFrames: I always cover the Aluminum first or an other substrate, i was using Solid Aluminum , i also always clean in with white spirit and always the print is 3mm bigger that the substrate to be trimmed easily.
@ Richard Photofusion: The prints are FB unfortunately , and i have never had a problem like that before. I did what you said i flattened them for one night with a lot of weight over them, and finally i used 3M Photomount adhesive spray it worked perfectly despite the ugly smell and the the mess that it does.

Thanks a lot
bilalshreif

Post by bilalshreif »

Just for those who read this post :
bilalshreif wrote:and finally i used 3M Photomount adhesive spray it worked perfectly despite the ugly smell and the the mess that it does.
This didn't work , 2 days after the paper peeled off again by itself from all sides and even from the center.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Who'd've thought :roll:
prospero

Post by prospero »

I would have put money on it. :P
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »