foamboard spacers?

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Keadyart
Organisation: Framing
Interests: Art,Photography,Horse racing,my Irish terrier Tara

foamboard spacers?

Post by Keadyart »

lately,I have been using foamboard faced with mountboard for deep rebate spacers for framing sports jerseys.I attach the spacers to the rebate with PVA and d/s tape to hold in place.
I had one of those dreaded thoughts that pva/d/s tape isn't adequate and the spacer might come loose!!
Am I being a :Slap: ?
Do any of you use a different method of attaching spacers in deep rebate frame?

Cheers
Brian
Roboframer

Re: foamboard spacers?

Post by Roboframer »

Same method I use, for shirts and many other things and when/if it comes to taking them apart again they're stuck good and proper. It helps if you use either the 'pin wheel' or 'Stomehenge' method :-)
Tim
Organisation: Deepwell Framing
Interests: Photography, Growing it, Cooking it, Eating it. Sauvignon Blanc. Syrah.

Post by Tim »

'tis truly weird that when I logged on in order to ask a question about foambaord spaces faced with mountboard, this thread should already be established!

Since I'm just trying something similar, I can't really help much - except to say that the D/S tape I'm using seems to do the trick OK, but causes another issue

My problem is this - looking at a standard float mount with spacer, like this

I cannot see how to assemble the finished frame without the glass being in place BEFORE you stick the spacers to the deep rebate moulding? Am I being a bit thick, or is this really how I'm going to have to put my frame together?

I guess I could make the spacer out of wood instaed of foambard, and glue it all together so it just drops in and isn't glued to the frame....
....how do you chaps do it?
Youth and experience are no match for age and treachery...
Keadyart

Post by Keadyart »

Thanks Robo-thats one for the PVA/doublesided/pinwheel method :clap:
I was tempted to back it up with a staple(then paint the staple with acrylic paint).

Tim,
foamboard pva/d/s/pinwheel - needs glass in first.( i think)

You could make the spacer from wood and underpin(glass still needs to go in first).

Cheers
Brian
misterdiy
Organisation: Decormount
Interests: Picture framing, mount-cutting, photoshop et al

Post by misterdiy »

We use stripwood from Wickes. Its only3mm as against 4mm for moulding suppliers strips, which with mountboard bonded to it shows above the rebate. We don't like window mounts as a general rule.

We use tapestry tape to fix the strips to the frame and have never had an issue, but of course the rebate strips are mitred so cannot fall out.
birdman
Organisation: Pelican Picture Framing
Interests: Getting up close and personal with Val

Post by birdman »

Hi Brian,

We use both the foamcore method you describe and also used wood spacers. The wooden spacers tend to be used on the larger frames but it depends on how I feel at the time to be honest because both work.

The PHOE range from Simons are quite good for this and have spacer slips that are two different depths. I know Arqadia do one as well and I'm sure so do other suppliers. I can't comment on Wickes because they don't exist in our part of the country.

I'm not sure why you would need to take it out again, unless someone broke the glass but we've never had any come back to us, so it hasn't been a problem. We don't use pva along the complete length of foam core, just the odd dash backed up with atg tape to hold it until the pva has set.

Rolf
Rolf Lawson GCF
“I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order.” Eric Morecambe
My status
Keadyart

Post by Keadyart »

ThanksDIY and Rolfm
,stripwood sounds the ticket too..(although scrap foamboard is more economical)...

Cheers
Brian
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

Depends on which is faster for us, time is by far our biggest expense.