Framing an archery target

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Bagel Framer

Framing an archery target

Post by Bagel Framer »

Hi,

I had an interesting enquiry last night from a member of an archery club.

They want me to quote to put a 4ft diameter paper archery target in a frame (the target they got from the Olympics).

I'm not setup to stick the target down, but can get a local framer to do that for me - has anyone got any tips on how it can be stuck down to a mountboard, presumably in a big hotpress hot press?

I can do the frame and spacer no problem but not the adhesion bit.

I also don't know of a big enough mountboard as jumbo doesn't go that big, so might have to bevel two together...

Thanks,

Sean
Graysalchemy

Re: Framing an archery target

Post by Graysalchemy »

Should you be sticking it down? I take it has some hits on it, in which case flattening it down would take away that element of the arrows impact. i would be tempted to float mount it in a box frame, this would alleviate the need for a mount.

Thats my suggestion.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Bull!
prospero

Post by prospero »

I agree with not sticking it down. You could cut a circle of foam core a bit smaller and hinge it around the edges of this. You could splice this as it's not going to be seen. Once hinged it's an easy job to stick it to the background.

For the background you might consider a stretched canvas painted a suitable colour. Lighter than a thick board and not so prone to warping.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
technoframer
Organisation: Yorkshire
Interests: Picture Framing, Eating and Sleeping. Sometimes at the same time.

Post by technoframer »

Sticking it down might not be a good idea. The target faces we used to use were either stiff paper with threads of fibre running through them or plastic based.

You should find the target face has a large pin hole near each corner through which the target pins were put to hold the face to the boss. You could fix the the face to the backing using these holes by adapting some target pins (any archer should have some of these). This would have the advantage of looking exactly like it did when on the original boss.