Glass offcuts

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
pramsay13
Organisation: Picture Framer (ML)
Interests: picture framing (no, really!) sport, music

Glass offcuts

Post by pramsay13 »

Does anyone do anything exciting with their glass offcuts?
I can re-use or recycle most other things, but I'm currently stockpiling my glass in preparation for a global shortage.
Graysalchemy

Re: Glass offcuts

Post by Graysalchemy »

You could crush it and make a thermal store for the greenhouse :giggle: Dick Strawbridge made one at his house on TV program It's Not Easy Being Green.
Abacus
Organisation: Abacus Picture Framing and Gallery
Interests: Picture Framing, Furniture making.

Post by Abacus »

I stockpile anything wider than 5" (I have a customer who orders hundreds of little ready mades several times a year) but do have masses of them. Anything smaller just gets binned in the general waste as my council don't seem keen on recycling glass. I bin an old style metal bin full every week. A glass artist once asked me for some offcuts, so I gave her about 100 and she hasn't been back since!
Kwik Picture Framing
Organisation: Kwik Picture Framing
Interests: Picture framing
Making just that little bit of difference to someone, somewhere.

Post by Kwik Picture Framing »

We use all our off cuts for ready made frames, The Rest in the bin
stcstc

Post by stcstc »

i put mine in my recyling bin

dont keep anything less than about 10" wide
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

I recycle all mine two. I end up keeping loads of pieces but then once a month clear what I have not used out. Any Small bits or long thin strips get binned straight away. I also use a lion glass crusher. :D
prospero

Post by prospero »

It's my life ambition to be stuck for a small bit of glass. :lol:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I have pigeon holes built into one of my benches where I keep standard sizes of glass, which I have cut to size from off-cuts. If there is no space for more glass in the bench, then any futher off-cuts go in the dumpster.

Some of the smaller sizes don't get used much, but that's life.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Tangent
Organisation: Colour It You
Interests: Various crafts

Post by Tangent »

I called Lewisham Council today and was told that I can't put my off cuts in the recycle bin. It's only for bottles and jars.
I asked if it would be recycled if I took it to the dump and they said that it wouldn't.
Was advised to bag it up and put it in the normal refuse bin! Madness!!!

Apparently there are services that will collect your glass and send it to China!!!
If it is worth something to them after the freight costs why on earth are we not recycling it here???

I will be working on ideas for using it in the future but for now it's going in the bin for a landfill site or the incinerator :(

Ideas so far are to get into some leading techniques and different means of decorating the glass and maybe making some tea light holders that I may sell at a craft fair at some point.
I also have some plans for making a few Christmas tree decorations using them.

Just infuriated that it won't be accepted for recycling!
We cannot solve our problems with the same level of thinking that we used when we created them - Albert Einstein
Colour It You
easypopsgcf
Organisation: home
Interests: cars

Post by easypopsgcf »

If its less than 1ft /30cm wide i rarely keep it, before you know it you are swamped with skinny offcuts doing nothing but getting in the way.
I tend to keep a couple of bits and the rest just get binned and you usually get the small bits you need from the offcuts of the bigger bits you are cutting .............it's so cheap anyway that if you spend any time messing with wee bits , you'll cost yourself more in wasted time than it is worth . (unless you can make and sell small ready made frames)
Tudor Rose
Organisation: The Framing Lot
Interests: Tudor history, swimming, walking and needlework.

Post by Tudor Rose »

Pretty much the same as others, offcuts that can be used are kept, one of our trade customers has quantities of small frames pretty regularly so we are happy to keep offcuts down to 7" wide for those orders, everything else that is waste get puts in the glass recycling bin which is collected fortnightly. No glass gets put in landfill and it is cheaper to have a recycling bin emptied than it is to have a landfill bin emptied.
Jo Palmer GCF(APF) Adv
Textile, Mount Design & Function & Conservation

Forum Moderator & Framing Educator
www.pictureframingtraining.com
Guild Certified Examiner & Guild Accredited Trainer
Guild Master from May 2019 to May 2022
stcstc

Post by stcstc »

My recyling bin collection is free!
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Some bits get used as a palette for mixing paint. I just get too many off-cuts to justify keeping more than a few. Most off-cuts will never get used, so they are best in the dumpster.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Tudor Rose
Organisation: The Framing Lot
Interests: Tudor history, swimming, walking and needlework.

Post by Tudor Rose »

Lucky you stcstc - waste contracts in place for three bin types here (cardboard recycling, glass recycling, general waste) and all chargeable
Jo Palmer GCF(APF) Adv
Textile, Mount Design & Function & Conservation

Forum Moderator & Framing Educator
www.pictureframingtraining.com
Guild Certified Examiner & Guild Accredited Trainer
Guild Master from May 2019 to May 2022
Tangent

Post by Tangent »

Well as I said previously my council simply do not recycle waste glass unless it is in the form of jars or bottles :roll:

I know there are companies that might do this but as a hobby framer just framing stuff for myself it isn't going to be cost effective for me to pay for such a service and it would probably only need collecting once a year!

I have called many local framing businesses too and they are all binning the glass too so that is what I will have to do unfortunately.
We cannot solve our problems with the same level of thinking that we used when we created them - Albert Einstein
Colour It You
technoframer
Organisation: Yorkshire
Interests: Picture Framing, Eating and Sleeping. Sometimes at the same time.

Post by technoframer »

You could try making something like this......

Kwik Picture Framing
Organisation: Kwik Picture Framing
Interests: Picture framing
Making just that little bit of difference to someone, somewhere.

Post by Kwik Picture Framing »

Is this one you did earlier :clap:
Tangent

Post by Tangent »

LOL Not sure that would work out too well here in my flat!

I just called Wessex and asked if I can bring in my waste glass when I go to buy more and put it in their skip.
I was told they do offer a recycling service but that I would need to pay £39 for the year and then £2.50 for each box that I return to them when they come to deliver.

I may try calling them again on Monday.
Am I wrong in assuming that they will also be paid for the glass that is collected from them for recycling?
Colour It You
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Doubt it, they probably pay to have it collected. If you got paid for recycling materials I could retire on just what comes on the friggin' Nielsen van every Weds!
countrystudio
Organisation: Bristol
Interests: framing

Post by countrystudio »

Try contacting your local glazing company. They are already paying to have their glass waste removed and maybe for a small donation to their 'christmas fund' they may be willing to let you add your few offcuts to their bin. Should be a cheaper option than Wessex's