Glass offcuts

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
prospero

Re: Glass offcuts

Post by prospero »

It's only 'waste' if you say it is. If you put it in small boxes for easy and safe handling, you can sell it. Who to? A friendly neighbour. Make out a proper invoice for a token amount. Say 10p a load. Give invoice to the neighbour. They don't have to actually give you 10p.
What's the point of all this? Well, once it's sold it legally ceases to be your property and becomes the neighbour's property. They can do what they want with it. The neighbour can just heave it into their landfill wheelybin or take it to the local tip. As it belongs to them it can't be termed 'trade waste'. (Unless they are also framers.)

And every Christmas the neighbour will get a nice pressie for being such a darn good neighbour. :clap:

That's my theory anyway. I haven't ever done this. Honest. :roll:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
pramsay13
Organisation: Picture Framer (ML)
Interests: picture framing (no, really!) sport, music

Post by pramsay13 »

How about I take it all to the dump in my car, moaning about how much hassle it was to demolish the greenhouse.
"Yes I did clean the glass before dismantling it"
Tim
Organisation: Deepwell Framing
Interests: Photography, Growing it, Cooking it, Eating it. Sauvignon Blanc. Syrah.

Post by Tim »

I made a stack of small squares and oblongs to cover seed trays and plant pots in the greenhouse while germinating seeds. That took about a weeks worth of offcuts about seven years ago, and I've not found much of a use for any offcuts since!! Like others have said, my local council won't recycle glass like this, so I tend to slice up into small bits and drop em into a smallish sturdy box, then dispose of carefully once the box is full and start again.
Youth and experience are no match for age and treachery...