Cibachrome advice

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Rabbie Side Burns
Organisation: Art Framing
Interests: Guitar playing, listening to the music of Jean Sibelius, tasting many varied ales.

Cibachrome advice

Post by Rabbie Side Burns »

HI folks - I have had a look at the previous posts regarding cibachrome photos which has given me some information, but there are a couple of other questions that you informed folks may be able to help me with.

A customer has brought in a cibachrome photo which he wants mounted in the same manner as an existing framed job. This job is also a cibachrome photo, but the framer has float mounted the photo onto foamcore somehow without a perceptible orange peel effect. I though maybe it was on aluminium and then stuck to the foamcore, but this doesn't look like the case. I'am a bit perplexed.

Do you guys know how this might have been achieved?

Also I was wondering if anyone has a contact who may be able to mount the print onto aluminium as I have never done this before and would prefer it to be done by an expert in the field.

Any help gratefully received!
An Old Master

Re: Cibachrome advice

Post by An Old Master »

Steve Goodall of Wessex,Oldham branch. The best authority on this by far - and it's about time somebody pestered him.
Rabbie Side Burns
Interests: Guitar playing, listening to the music of Jean Sibelius, tasting many varied ales.

Thanks for the contact details Old Master - I will give him a call. :)
An Old Master

Post by An Old Master »

I saw Goody yesterday and he has a couple of suggestions as to where you can have the work done, so give him a call.
Rabbie Side Burns

Just thought I would give an update on how I got on with the Cibachrome photo I needed mounting onto a support for float mounting. After the helpful advice of An Old Master, I contacted Steve Goodall at Wessex, and he graciously gave me the contact details of a couple of companies that do this sort of work. One was John Jones (http://www.johnjones.co.uk) and the second, which I contacted was Kay Mounting (http://www.kaymounting.co.uk). They were most helpful and advised that they could mount the photo onto 1.5mm aluminium sheet. I sent it off to them and when completed I arranged a courier to collect from them (they don't post things out to customers - but this was no problem).

Here is a photo of the finished article. No great shakes visually, but as you can see we got the effect that the customer was after in the end.

Thanks again to An Old Master and Pete Goodall.

Steve Goodall
Organisation: Wessex Pictures Group
Interests: Gothic Punk / Man City / Photography...

Post by Steve Goodall »

Random Fact time...

More Cibachromes come from Australia than anywhere else.

They end up all over the world too & I get lots of calls & emails about how to handle them...

WOW the Aussies have great taste & KNOW HOW TO EXPORT IT!!!! :clap:
Your too late I'm afraid - I retired in April 2024 :sun:
Steve Goodall
Organisation: Wessex Pictures Group
Interests: Gothic Punk / Man City / Photography...

Post by Steve Goodall »

Rabbie Side Burns wrote: Thanks again to An Old Master and Pete Goodall.
Just noticed the thanks...

"Pete" Goodall is actually my Dad - I will pass the thanks on - He'll be delighted!!! :Slap: :giggle: :giggle: :giggle:
Your too late I'm afraid - I retired in April 2024 :sun:
Rabbie Side Burns

Steve - sorry about the typo :oops: - it was probably a mistake more in relation to An Old Master's true identity that subconsciously slipped in there - I would have edited it, but for some reason couldn't find the facility on forum to do so. Any way, thanks again Steve!