Backlighting a batik

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Colin Macintyre
Organisation: cmpf.co.uk
Interests: Picture Framing

Backlighting a batik

Post by Colin Macintyre »

I have a customer who is enquiring about framing a large batik fabric (2m x 1m),He would like it done, as he has seen them done in Asia, lightly streached over a frame,without glass or a backboard, and backlit with low watt lighting. I am thinking of suggesting fixing LED rope light like this:
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SK ... tAodMhEANQ
to the inside of the frame and pehaps a couple of cross bars. Can anyone give me any advice on this?

Thanks,

Colin.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Backlighting a batik

Post by Not your average framer »

I was asked to back light a painting produced by a mother's gifted artistic son and it turned out more time consuming to do than I had expected. In my case, the painting was already on ridgid clear plastic, so that part was no problem, getting an evenly illuminated result was more difficult. Eventually, a box section lined with conservatek to a as a reflector was added and this made quite a lot of difference.

The lamps were arranged in side so that they did not directly illuminate the artwork and so that you could not when viewing the painting see anything of the lamps at all. Instead the lamps directly illuminated the reflective surface and then indierectly the artwork via a diffusing screen. I was not sure that the customer would like it, because I was not that impressed with it myself, but I need not have worried, the customer was absolutely delighted.

This was the only time I had ever done anything like this and considering the time and effort that this took, vs the price I quoted, the job was not as profitable as intended. Be careful to work out how to do this, before quoting a price and you should be o.k.

As a last thought. If the customer was happy to do this, could you mount it onto 4mm acrylic using optically clear mounting film. My local hardware shop sells 4mm acrylic and will cut it to size as well. It's cheap too!

If you can buy 4mm acrylic from a local hardware / DIY store, this may be the way to go.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
An Old Master

Post by An Old Master »

Those LED rope lights can be very bright Colin. Not sure what you mean by cross bars, for lights, or extra support ?
stcstc

Post by stcstc »

i did a brain scan xray last year for someone using LED strips

http://theframersforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=9969

firstly its relatively easy to dim the leds. they will deff need diffusion, but also reflection to create even light behind something that size

at that size i would actually suggest LED panels rather than strips though
An Old Master

Post by An Old Master »

Is there no limit to your abilities Stephen? Brain scans, digital printing, picture framing - impressive !
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

You'd surely need a backing, otherwise light would escape around the sides?
stcstc

Post by stcstc »

yes robo, and ideally it should be highly reflective
simoonez
Organisation: Dorset Framing
Interests: pasties

Post by simoonez »

LED light sheets would be the only thing I would choose. Really not cheap though.
I get mine from LEDlightsheet.co.uk, very helpful folks. Saved me a lot of time and money messing about trying to sort out light spots and reflective backs.
An Old Master

Post by An Old Master »

That sounds more like it.
stcstc

Post by stcstc »

what like i suggested earlier
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Just like that, but without your click-able link!
Colin Macintyre
Organisation: cmpf.co.uk
Interests: Picture Framing

Post by Colin Macintyre »

Guys, Thanks so much. Some great tips. So now I'm definitely thinking LED panels and a highly reflective backing. Stephen, very impressed by the scan. If the customer wishes to progress I may well pick your brains (no pun intended) on dimming the LED's and diffusing the light.
stcstc

Post by stcstc »

yea its quite easy

a PWM (pulse width modulation) circuit is how its done

there are off the shelf ones

your other option actually is to buy a custom lighbox, which you can use as the basis for the frame

its not the cheapest option but will save you having to deal with any of the issues already mentioned
An Old Master

Post by An Old Master »

The cost of suggested solutions seems to be spiralling to stratospheric heights, have you a budget to work to?
stcstc

Post by stcstc »

just to give you an idea

the example i showed above. which was done with strips

materials cost was 74 euros approx, including frame materials etc

took less than an hour to do

but i have made a lot of light boxes in a past life so knew where to buy parts and what to use
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Post by JFeig »

A batik will be a dust magnet is there is any wax residue in the fabric. I would use dimable Christmas lights which are less bulky than those ropes.

I also agree that it has to be framed to be a proper and clean package. How would you illuminate the area on the edges where the support is if no frame were used?
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com