Glass cutting on te Excalibur 5000

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Comfyjumper
Organisation: The Small Frame Company
Interests: Framing, auctions, antiques, boxers, gardening................

Glass cutting on te Excalibur 5000

Post by Comfyjumper »

I've just acquired an Excalibur and am having problems cutting large pieces of glass....well, not the cutting, the 'breaking'. Where and how do the more experienced of you 'tap" the glass to break it along the score whilst on the machine? Small pieces I have no problem with, but large pieces I've failed dismally with. :head:
prospero

Re: Glass cutting on te Excalibur 5000

Post by prospero »

Check you have your pressure right. There is a little allen-head screw behind the wheel. Takes a bit of finding..... Back it off completely and then use up all your scrap bits on test cuts, quarter-turn the screw each time until you get a nice score. If it's set right, a cross look will snap the score. If it needs any amount of force to snap it then 99% it's the pressure. The other 1% is the wheel needs changing.

Another thing.... Avoid pressing the cutter block forward when bringing it down. Just control the descent and let it glide free.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

It's more of a push than a tap and with large pieces, with both hands.

A long time ago, after having problems with scratches on coated glass from sliding it over the back support, I started using a sheet of cheap mount board about 60x20" behind the cutting bar/clamp. I had to reduce the wheel pressure a bit as a result so that meant I had to use it for all glass .... or re-adjust all the time.

I find it great, especially on large pieces because it cushions the snap.
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

make sure there is not excess play on the carrier bearings, otherwise you will find it hard to get the right pressure in the first place, these should be lubricated with a very small amount of silicone spray, you can download the pdf manual from the keencut website.

Also make sure that the wheel is good, ours last about 3 months but thats with heavy usage.

When it's perfect the slightest tap or push will snap it.
technoframer
Organisation: Yorkshire
Interests: Picture Framing, Eating and Sleeping. Sometimes at the same time.

Post by technoframer »

You need to run the cut. After scoring, tap firmly enough to break the score at the top, this will break the score only part the way down, move your hand down a quarter of the way down and tap again, even a gentle push will work, work your way down. You only need two or three pushes on a full height cut.

In your head imagine the cut running from top to bottom and you should get it right.

If that doesn't work you might need a new cutting wheel.
Comfyjumper
Organisation: The Small Frame Company
Interests: Framing, auctions, antiques, boxers, gardening................

Post by Comfyjumper »

Thanks all, and Robo, I'll try the piece of board advice. I trawled through other similar posts and that hint worked for another enquirer. :rock: