Glass or acrylic

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Bracken643
Organisation: Bracken framing
Interests: Rugby,golf, framing, reading

Glass or acrylic

Post by Bracken643 »

Yet again the old adage glass or acrylic I have been asked to do a rugby shirt for my local club. The place where the framed shirts are hung is on an area of the roof that slopes from the wall at about 45 degrees to the roof. So not flat against the wall. I have been asked to find out if glass will be safe the other frames are held on by three glass plates on each. Also how do I know what the other ones that are up are made of glass or acrylic. Sorry if I haven't explained this fully.
Roboframer

Re: Glass or acrylic

Post by Roboframer »

What's a glass plate? If you mean mirror plates ...
mirror plate.jpg
mirror plate.jpg (10.07 KiB) Viewed 2543 times
Then the frames will be flat against the wall (roof) .

If they are flat against the (sloped) wall then acrylic would be best because broken glass could fall out on to someone, gravity and all that. If they are hanging free from the sloped wall then acrylic would still be best ...... because they are hanging free!

To test the existing glazing you could either throw a brick at it or poke it in the centre to see if there's any give, but if it's really thick acrylic that might not work. If there's anything else close by that is definitely glass then if the shirts' glazing is acrylic it might feel warmer. Plus it just feels and sounds different to glass to the touch/tap.

If you do go for acrylic make sure it's thick enough to not bow out and possibly just fall out of the rebate!
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

I would say acrylic as well though as Robo has pointed out it may bow out if it is not thick enough.
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

acrylic here too.
Bracken643
Organisation: Bracken framing
Interests: Rugby,golf, framing, reading

Post by Bracken643 »

Thanks for that guys next question I contacted the supplier for the Acrlic he suggested maybe use Styrene if the picture is not likley to get scratched. Views ?
prospero

Post by prospero »

Acrylic is better.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

Styrene is cheaper and more susceptible to scratching but to be honest acrylic isn't much better , though clarity is better.
Kwik Picture Framing
Organisation: Kwik Picture Framing
Interests: Picture framing
Making just that little bit of difference to someone, somewhere.

Post by Kwik Picture Framing »

Acrylic. I wouldn't use glass with something like this purely because of the possibility of broken glass landing on people's heads (and you never know.. club.. alcohol.. etc). So it's best to be safe, but make sure the shirt is secure and the acrylic is thick.