Burnt frame

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Vix

Burnt frame

Post by Vix »

Just had this brought in by a customer of mine. Apparently they've had the frame sat on the mantlepiece with a lit candle next to it (customers! :roll: ) and this is the result. They are now asking me if there is anything that can be done with it to repair the damage.

I have a few ideas of how to tackle it but I know some of you on here have far more experience when it comes to paint finishes than I do and wondered what your thoughts are on the best way to repair the damage. I'd rather not go to a full strip down and repaint if possible but if it has to be done then so be it.

Thanks
Attachments
IMG_0724.jpg
IMG_0724.jpg (42.38 KiB) Viewed 2098 times
Roboframer

Re: Burnt frame

Post by Roboframer »

If a replacement is possible that would be far cheaper, well, here at least!
prospero

Post by prospero »

You could either do the full strip or faff about for a few hours (days?) and then do the full strip. It's a no-brainer really. No way are you going to do an invisible spot repair.

Plan B. Get a candle........ :giggle:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Vix

Post by Vix »

Thanks Guys.

You've just confirmed my worst nightmare - a full strip it looks like then :sweating: unless any one knows where I can pick up a replacement from, 30" diameter apperture with a 6.5" width circular frame - as another option.

Or as prospero says plan B!! which is what I may end up doing! (customer is a good friend of mine who thinks I can work the minor miracle or two -but this time she may well be a bit disappointed when I give her the bad news).

Only glad that it wasn't me that had done it!!
prospero

Post by prospero »

It might not be such a kerfuffle as it appears. Is the frame leafed?

You may not have strip it down to bare wood. Looking at the photo as best I can it looks like it's painted gold - maybe powder-gilded - and a toning coat on top. If you can sand it back just as far as you need to apply a coat of acrylic paint as a basecoat (making good the burnt bit in the process), I wouldn't be a huge job to slap a bit of gold on it. A brown toning coat on top and it will look great. It may not match the original, but as long as it has that period look. Exp an a few scraps before attacking the whole thing.

At least you don't have any corners to contend with. :clap:

Another bonus is that if they singe it again you would be able to touch it up. :ninja:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Vix

Post by Vix »

Thanks Prospero for coming up trumps yet again. Your'e a Star!!

I'll give what you suggest a go. I've already done the prep work of sanding it down to remove the damage done by the candle so we'll how it goes from there. I also think much of it could be disguised if it was hung from a different spot. She's already been told what to expect but seem ok if it's not back to exactly how it was before, so at least that takes some of the pressure off.

I've already warned her that if she does set fire to the damn thing again, next time she'll be wearing it as a necklace :giggle: or i'll finish the job good and proper in my wood burner!