Ltd Ed Print mounting advice please!

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Roboframer

Re: Ltd Ed Print mounting advice please!

Post by Roboframer »

Why not replace the MDF plus barrier with artbak conservation or even foam board - neither need a barrier and both are probably cheaper than two boards of anything - and of course quicker.

In fact I'd say if using an undermount of 1100 microns + then you'd be fine with standard artbak (or equivalent, such as corricor etc)

Glimpse

Post by Glimpse »

I tend to use white display board from Wessex. It's advertised as ph neutral, not sure how it stacks up from a conservation point of view, but it's cheaper than mount board...
Whitewater Gallery
Organisation: Whtewater Gallery
Interests: Surfing, sailing

Post by Whitewater Gallery »

I have always quite liked the idea of the extra protection that mdf might give though thinking about it now if the back of the print was stabbed hard enough to pierce through artbak and a 1100 or 1400 micron under mount there is a good chance that the glass might go anyway!

It is funny, cutting mdf with a stanley knife by hand created less dust when putting everything together than when we now cut on our new Keencut! Unless anyone has experience that would argue against using this method for framed prints of up to 800mm square or 1200 x 700mm then I think this is the way we shall go. :rock:
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

regarding your keencut, it should not produce any dust or bits, you may need to tighten the barings,