tin cans?

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
michelle
Organisation: Blackcab Studio
Interests: Driving my 1965 Bedford Dormobile.

tin cans?

Post by michelle »

Has anyone framed tin cans?
I have never done it before and then this week i have had two people in wanting soup cans framed. They are empty ( one set a Andy Warhol cambells soup set and the others some battered vintage tins) so no weight issues
I was thinking of a mount over half the can with spacer behind and in front of the mount, thought they could be supported at the back with foam core, ww ar glass would then look good especially as mount and frame will be dark so hopefully the cans will stand out.I have a valiani so shape cutting is not a problem.
I would really appreciate it if anyone has got any other ideas or examples of ones they have done.
whats the chances of two lots in one week?
Roboframer

Re: tin cans?

Post by Roboframer »

How about displaying them just as they would be in a shop or just as they would be stored in your kitchen, on shelves.

A couple of formed rods over the top at the back (assuming they are open) wouldn't look too obtrusive but better still, sink rare earth magnets in to the shelves and for extra insurance, not that it should be necessary, in to the backing as well.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

From that site "Two neodymium disc magnets 10mm diameter and 5mm thick can attract each other and hold in place, through the thickness of a human finger"

:shock: :shock:
michelle
Organisation: Blackcab Studio
Interests: Driving my 1965 Bedford Dormobile.

Post by michelle »

I am loving the idea of magnets. Not one I would have thought of so thanks.
I will give the two options to the customers and see where they go, if they don't choose the magnets I am going to have to get some tins of my own!
topcat
Organisation: Bay Framing
Interests: Picture Framing
Football
Music

Post by topcat »

I framed beer cans and cigarettes a few years ago with 'break in case of emergency' on the glass. They didn't last long though as the people i was working for at the time seemed to think any friday night was an emergency!