Glass cutting

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
ChrisG
Organisation: Hampshire Framing Limited
Interests: .

Glass cutting

Post by ChrisG »

On the Excalibur I sometimes find that although the sheet is scored right the way down it doesn't break cleanly, typically at the start ie top of the score the glass breaks at a slight angle away from the clamp. The result is a small nib preventing the sheet from fitting into its intended frame.
Graysalchemy

Re: Glass cutting

Post by Graysalchemy »

Try using a more even pressure across the score line so it snaps more uniformly on the machine. You can also take of the nibs with pliers.
Abacus
Organisation: Abacus Picture Framing and Gallery
Interests: Picture Framing, Furniture making.

Post by Abacus »

I don't think you are supposed to use the clamp with glass (the fletcher I use has "do not use for glass" on the clamp).

If i've misunderstood, please accept my apologies.
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

I agree I wouldn't clamp it
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

I agree I wouldn't clamp it
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

I always have - (on the keencut) it still scores unclamped but there is a chance of movement.

You may need a new wheel or a drop of oil on the one you have or to adjust the tension, maybe in addition to one of those. Put a piece of mount board behind the glass, that will effectively increase the tension, see what happens, if it improves things increase the tension.
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

what roboframer said is exactly right, the clamp on the Excalibur is designed for glass clampage :)
in addition to his very good advice, you may need to adjust the baring screws if there is play in the head, correctly adjusted the glass should only need very slight pressure to snap it cleanly.
hyperfocal
Organisation: Pro-Am Colour
Interests: Framing

Post by hyperfocal »

I had the same problem for a while and an older framer suggested just to run the score a couple of times at the top for about 5cm then the full length as you would do normally. (hope that makes sense) it works a treat.
GeoSpectrum
Organisation: Ashcraft Framing
Interests: Family, x-country skiing, wine, art, Jazz

Post by GeoSpectrum »

I found that happened but at the bottom, I found I was pressing on the glass a bit too high, I just moved my hand down a bit and the problem went away.
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
Bespoke Easels and Self-assembly tray frames
http://www.ashcraftframing.co.uk
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

This problem happens from time to time on my system 4000, but I have found that the problem goes away when I lubricate the cutting wheel and axle with a quick squirt of GT85.

I think this must have something to do with how freely the wheel is able to revolve.

(GT85 does not contain oil, so it does not ruin the nylon cutting wheel housing).
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer