Cutting Narrow Slivers/Strips of Glass

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
millieri
Organisation: None Yet!
Interests: Photography, cooking, travel, music production

Re: Cutting Narrow Slivers/Strips of Glass

Post by millieri »

Perhaps I do things the wrong way round but I make the mount first, then cut the frame. I cut the glass the same size as the mount but that's when there an occasional marginal difference in glass size/mount size can leave me needing to trim the glass. Do people generally cut the glass first?
easypopsgcf
Organisation: home
Interests: cars

Post by easypopsgcf »

1.Measure
2. Cut glass and backing
3. Cut mount and backing mount to size(exact same size as 2)
4. Cut mount and attach job
5. Clean glass and tape package
6. Cut and join frame
7. Assemble

There should be no difference between mount/backing/glass sizes no matter the order you cut them in, that way when you cut your frame(+2mm for clearance) it'll always fit
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

1. Cut glass
1.cut frame
1.cut mount

All are done by different people here, we can do several hundred in a week and there are very few mistakes.
It is just a case of properly measuring, and adding the right amount of gap, just get your head in gear and it will all work.94m8 p0l
Kb
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

I like to do as much as possible with as few laps of the workshop as possible so I cut all the frame contents on the Excalibur (unless I'm going to get the CMC to cut the outside of the mount as well as the aperture), take them the other side of the bench (via the CMC), cut and join the frame then back to the side of the bench I started from for final fitting. That way there are no surprised after joining the frame; you've cut it to fit all the bits you already cut.
pramsay13
Organisation: Picture Framer (ML)
Interests: picture framing (no, really!) sport, music

Post by pramsay13 »

I cut mountboard and backing mount first and hinge artwork in place.
I then cut backing board and slide it behind package.
I then cut glass and sit it on top.
If anything is a different size it will be obvious at this point.
Lastly I cut and join the frame, before turning it upside down on the bench. I put in the glass and clean it, then add in the rest of the package, turning it the right way up to check for any remaining specks.
Not sure why I do it that way, that's just what works for me.
StevenG
Organisation: Featurepiece Frames
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Post by StevenG »

I always cut the frame last, I cut mount, backing & glass at the start since it's on done on the same machine (3100). I get the 'sandwich' done and then just fit the frame... bish bash bosh etc etc :)
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

I do it either way depends what else i am doing if I am cutting other frames then I will do them all at once regardless of whether the mount or glass is cut. If you have measure properly it shouldn't matter which order it is done in. Like Robo I try and make my workshop movements and time as efficient as possible.
Jamesnkr

Post by Jamesnkr »

easypopsgcf wrote:Not really sure why people are needing these pliers so much, I must cut an average of 35 bits of glass a week, often quite a bit more and if I get one that needs trimmed/nibbled a month I'd be lying, more like 5 or 6 times a year
But some cut an average of 35 bits of glass a year, perhaps a bit more, and therefore... :head: