Dave E
Organisation: DEPF
Interests: guitar, music, film soundtracks

Trying to match a moulding

Post by Dave E »

Had a customer at the weekend looking to match a frame she had done ages ago
corner 1.jpg
corner 1.jpg (48.65 KiB) Viewed 3108 times
The moulding is 35mm wide, Think I found it in the Ashworth & Thompson catalogue
A&T 1662.OSM.jpg
A&T 1662.OSM.jpg (63.82 KiB) Viewed 3108 times
But on checking today it’s discontinued. Im struggling to find anything with a similar profile and finish. Any ideas? I have looked at Lion, Wessex, Mainline and Holroyds.

Was also wondering if that finish is something that could be done by a hand finishing newby like myself, I’ve only done stains and waxes. I can see it’s a dark red base with black speckles and gold over the top followed by a lacquer but to be honest I don’t know where to start! Think I’ve answered by own question on that :lol:
prospero

Re: Trying to match a moulding

Post by prospero »

That one goes way back. The gold is laid on from little scrap pieces of leaf to give that broken effect. There is a name for it beginning with a that I can never remember. I'm sure a reasonable facsimile could be made by hand-finishing, but not an exact copy. IMHO a near match looks worse than a complete difference. :? A then there is a matter of getting a matching profile. Easier to replace the existing frames with matching new ones if the customer wants a match.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Dave E
Organisation: DEPF
Interests: guitar, music, film soundtracks

Post by Dave E »

Thanks for your reply I think I'll pass on trying to replicate it I agree a close lookalike would probably look naff next to the original anyway. I had suggested replacing the original frame so the pieces would match but customer wasn't keen on that idea.
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

Oddly enough we used to call this finish broken leaf, glad I am not alone.