How to teach new staff how to use Morso

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Kwik Picture Framing
Organisation: Kwik Picture Framing
Interests: Picture framing
Making just that little bit of difference to someone, somewhere.

How to teach new staff how to use Morso

Post by Kwik Picture Framing »

Hi we trying to teach new staff how to use the morso, First we set them up with one size for example A4, And show them how to cut each piece and let them repeat the process on one side, then cut the small lenghts. This way they get use to the machine,. We want to know how best to teach new staff how to make made to measure frames. Has anyone got a step by step process so they can understand the job more effectively and easily.
GeoSpectrum
Organisation: Ashcraft Framing
Interests: Family, x-country skiing, wine, art, Jazz

Re: How to teach new staff how to use Morso

Post by GeoSpectrum »

I am asuming you are investing some money into this venture, Ii so you could do worse than invest a bit in your staff and either get a trainer in or send them for a days training somewhere. I am alo thinking that as you appear to be getting into the volume market then a double mitre saw would be a better bet....
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
Bespoke Easels and Self-assembly tray frames
http://www.ashcraftframing.co.uk
Kwik Picture Framing

do you know any good trainers? or self guides?
GeoSpectrum

Post by GeoSpectrum »

Try the FATG and search for trainers. And a number of the suppliers such as Wessex or Simons run training.
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
Whitewater Gallery
Organisation: Whtewater Gallery
Interests: Surfing, sailing

Post by Whitewater Gallery »

In my limited experience you can train someone to use a Morso in an hour or 2. It is possibly a bit easier for us now that we have an electric Morso, but I think if it takes longer than a couple of hours you might not have the best person for the job! I usually show then the set up and chop an offcut get them to do the same and then set them off on one of our smaller photo frames. I would also repeat the process the next morning just to be sure it has sunk in. This undoubtedly will lead to some mistakes being made but if you have the right person they will learn from these and not repeat them. A bit cavalier possibly but it seems to work OK for us, we have to train summer staff each year.
Kwik Picture Framing

Staff come and go, I just needed a guide so I can show them, and let them learn on they own accord.
prospero

Post by prospero »

The first thing you should impress on new operators is never to put their fingers near the blades. It's all too easy for someone to stick their finger in to brush away bits of detritus. I found this out the hard way when I first got my machine. Sliced halfway though a fingernail. It made a good boy of me though as I have never done it since. :D

Have a little brush near the machine and get them firmly in the habit of using that. :yes:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Kwik Picture Framing

We also have the plastic clear guard on. and make sure they pull the mouldings in without scratching onto the blades
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

Kwik Picture Framing Said: Staff come and go, I just needed a guide so I can show them, and let them learn on they own accord.

That doesn't make for a good business,

Firstly if you are expecting staff to go then you are not operating a business were people wqant to work and thats no good for productivity. Secondly if you let them learn on their own then thats no good for the products you are selling and again no good from a point of view of staff moral or health and safety.

I don't know your set up but from your recent posts you are probably in the online high volume bespoke market, but I would have thought a saw would have been your better option. With a cassese saw and pneumatic pinner you are going to make 40 - 50 frames an hour and probably save you a few members of staff so it would easily pay within a year.
Kwik Picture Framing

Where using morso's at them moment because we cut alot of artcore, and want best cuts, with saw its alot of chipping
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

I find a saw great for plastic, you just need to get the speed of the saw going across right, but basically the faster the better.
GeoSpectrum

Post by GeoSpectrum »

It's all down to a bit of good initial training and experience. Try to hang on to your staff.
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

don't you just press that pedal thing down, I will send photos.
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

Kwik wrote

Staff come and go, I just needed a guide so I can show them, and let them learn on they own accord.

Totally the wrong attitude, as an employer YOU are responsible for Health and Safety and proper training, you should be able to spend a couple of hours showing them the machine and training them the correct way to use it and all the safety issues.
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
Kwik Picture Framing

When I mean they come and go, after a few weeks for trials. They dont like the job, so we are trying to make their job easlier and easy to understand by following easy step by step guides to help them like the job more. I hope this makes sense.
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

There are various u tube videos here is one https://youtu.be/MTBaHZENUmc

I would recommend giving new staff training from a professional trainer, but the video at least shows how the thing works, If you go down this route at least give them a proper safety talk, morso is a dangerous piece of kit.
GeoSpectrum

Post by GeoSpectrum »

I hope you have the correct insurance in place!
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
Morso
Organisation: Dan-List A/S
Interests: Morso

Post by Morso »

Hi,
We have just recently joined the forum so this is our first post, and what is better than to start out with safety on the Morso machines. Safety is a big issue, and I have personally met a few framers at trade shows missing one or two fingers. None of them are blaming the Morso machine, but simply the fact that they are trying to do too many jobs in the same time. For example trying to answer the phone and cut a frame at the same time.
Therefore always be focussed and concentrated when operating the Morso machine. Never take anything as a routine...

Always leave the triangled safety guard on your machine. This is protecting you from getting your fingers close to the blades. We realize that there is a lot of old machines in the market, which do not have this, but this can be retrofitted on all the Morso machines out there. Secondly make sure the plastic protection front guards are BOTH okay and not broken.

In fact there is also another alternative. The Morso Electric/hydraulic operated machines.These are dual hand operated which means that the machine stops immediately as soon as the operator remove one of his fingers. This makes it impossible for the operator to cut his fingers. We realize there is a huge price difference between the Electric/hydraulic machines compared to a Morso F, but there is no discussion that the Morso EH is the safest machine in the market.

This is just some tips from us - we would love to hear your comments on safety on our machines and if you have any ideas to improve it any further. Safety is and will always be a key issue for us, so if there is anything you think we can improve, please do let us know. Thank you.
prospero

Post by prospero »

Welcome to the Forum Morso. :D

On the whole, Apart from getting into the mindset of not putting your fingers near the blades I think the machine itself is as safe as it can be. I've been using mine for 30 years (without a safety guard) without incident. Apart from the nasty cut I got the first week I had it. It's nearly healed up now. :giggle:

There is one other issue that does come to mind. Not a serious issue, but I'm sure a lot of framers will be familiar with it. When you some times cut a wide moulding and have the pedal up as far as it will go, it's easy to let your foot slip off at the bottom of the stroke. This results in the pedal returning at high speed to the top and unless you are very quick you can get a nasty bang on the shin. Not a serious injury it must be said, but one which you would rather not have all the same. Maybe some form of damper could be fitted?

Just an idea. :idea:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
GeoSpectrum

Post by GeoSpectrum »

Another idea for the morso here Morso. An access hole in the front panel so chippings can be removed when a Morson is positioned against a wall.
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing