Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Jamesnkr

Frame clamps

Post by Jamesnkr »

I have one of these:
Clamp.JPG
Clamp.JPG (19.02 KiB) Viewed 6704 times
http://www.rockler.com/frame-clamp-kit

which is a bit of a fiddle but holds things nice and firm.

And I have an Inglet one from Lion, for a scorching £55.
Inglet.JPG
Inglet.JPG (25.49 KiB) Viewed 6704 times
https://www.lionpic.co.uk/product/Ingle ... 777,0.aspx

I must say, it didn't impress me that much; cheaply made screw threads that didn't really look big enough for the job.

B&Q do a Stanley one that looks remarkably similar to the Inglet one for a tenner: http://tinyurl.com/zfbt8aa
Stanley.JPG
Stanley.JPG (20.03 KiB) Viewed 6704 times
Or there's this one, which might not last forever, but might actually do better than the Stanley one as it doesn't have the dodgy-looking metal clamp:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfcraft-34410 ... trap+clamp
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (19.62 KiB) Viewed 6701 times

Any views? For something where you're filling the corners and finishing over I think the clamping is very important.
prospero

Re: Frame clamps

Post by prospero »

I have one of those top ones too. :D One of the first pieces of kit I bought. It's in the shed and I haven't used it since about 1985. :giggle:

I use strap clamps a lot. But not the ones sold as framing stuff. The ones I use were made by Stanley and you can't buy them any more. :( They are just a simple ratchet mechanism with a length of strong webbing. You cinch them up with a spanner. They are great for assembling large frames single-handed as you can glue up all four corners, throw the strap round and jiggle the corners before applying full pressure. The whole thing is secure then and you can take it to the underpinner.
There isn't much that can go wrong or wear out with them. The webbing is readily available if it breaks. There are a few profiles (reverses) that don't like being clamped like this. The best ones are those that have a groove in the back. The webbing nicely grips the corners. I don't like plastic corners. And I don't like the tightening mechanism on these 'framing' clamps. You can'y apply enough welly.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
GeoSpectrum
Organisation: Ashcraft Framing
Interests: Family, x-country skiing, wine, art, Jazz

Post by GeoSpectrum »

I've found the Bessy clamps to be good.
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
Bespoke Easels and Self-assembly tray frames
http://www.ashcraftframing.co.uk
Trinity
Organisation: Trinity Framing
Interests: Classic Tractors, Honda Blackbird, Eunos, anything with an engine

Post by Trinity »

I bought a set of ulmia clamps which although a bit pricey are incredibly effective and very easy to use
You can get them off eBay
I found the straps fiddly to say the least, but they don't leave marks to be filled like the ulmias, not a problem if your filling anyway
Do not be afraid of strangers, for thereby many have entertained angels unawares.
prospero

Post by prospero »

I wouldn't mind a set of Ulmias. :D

Before underpinners most framers had a set.
233ART
Organisation: ART233, GALLERY/FRAME SHOP
Interests: COLLECTING & RESTORING OLD TOYS...

Post by 233ART »

I have 4 of the Stanley cramps, as shown above.I find them perfect for job intended...
Pete...
Jamesnkr

Post by Jamesnkr »

prospero wrote:I have one of those top ones too. :D One of the first pieces of kit I bought.
One of my first too. It's a really good piece of kit, just a bit faffy, and takes up too much space on the desk.
Jamesnkr

Post by Jamesnkr »

I now have one of each of them so thought I'd report back.

The top one (metal torture device) is definitely the most solid piece of equipment, but it's far too fiddly. Great if you're doing several frames the same size though. What it's not good at is deep moulding as it puts the pressure on at the bottom, thus opening the joint at the top.

The Inglet is probably the best, but it's eye-wateringly expensive at £50ish. And I question how long it's going to last with the screw for holding down the metal cable. But it's nice and rigid, and cable management is easy. Good for doing several frames the same size.

The yellow Stanley frame clamp is the worst. The strap is held in place on both sides with the yellow levers attached to the black bit running up and down in the photograph. The strap will slip within that if you try to get it too tight. A bit more fiddly than the Inglet for doing multiple frames the same size. The strap is supplied with a cable tie through the middle of the coiled strap, which makes cable management reasonably easy.

The Wolfcraft one wins the prize for me because it works well and is cheap. The ratchet mechanism allows you to get the strap tight enough to give a nice twang when you tweak it. It can't slip. And it's the cheapest. A bit more fiddly than the Inglet for doing multiple frames the same size. They've made no concession to cable management, but inspired by the Stanley one a cable tie through the middle helps no end.
GeoSpectrum
Organisation: Ashcraft Framing
Interests: Family, x-country skiing, wine, art, Jazz

Post by GeoSpectrum »

When using a Bessy, I sometimes clamp up three or frames at once by using off cuts of a wide L shape moulding in the clamp guides. This spreads the load evenly across all the frames. You need to make sure there's no glue seeping out though, otherwise you'll have off its stuck to the outside corners. I'll sort out a picture when I get a moment...
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
Bespoke Easels and Self-assembly tray frames
http://www.ashcraftframing.co.uk
Jamesnkr

Post by Jamesnkr »

GeoSpectrum wrote:When using a Bessy,
These?
http://www.johnsonstoolcentre.co.uk/1.a ... chStr=2716

If so, whilst I can see it holds the items together at the correct angle, what does it do to tension them and force the ends together?
233ART
Organisation: ART233, GALLERY/FRAME SHOP
Interests: COLLECTING & RESTORING OLD TOYS...

Post by 233ART »

Regarding the Stanley clamp.I have never had any problems with the strap slipping....................................................
Peter...
prospero

Post by prospero »

If you are using corner blocks as Alan suggests, it's as well to run a saw blade in the internal corner to create a little void. These corners may look square but can be slightly rounded, thus stopping the sharp ends of the frame joint from pushing right into the corner.

As for glue oozes sticking to the blocks, you can wrap them in handywrap. If that gets gunged up replace it.
chris62
Organisation: Sansom Gallery
Interests: Photography/Carpentry

Post by chris62 »

I make these up
Attachments
IMG_1405.JPG
IMG_1405.JPG (473.33 KiB) Viewed 6344 times
prospero

Post by prospero »

These are the clamps I use that you can't get any more.

ratty
Organisation: John Howarth
Interests: Framing, Art

Post by ratty »

I have an old set of Ulmia's along with the 'spreader pliers'.

They don't get much usage, but as previously stated easy to use but they do leave marks on the moulding, that requires filling.

New sets seem well expensive, over £100!