Starting up...

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
DMBN
Organisation: N/A
Interests: Contemporary art, music, football, cycling.

Starting up...

Post by DMBN »

Hello all,
Been nosing around on here for a while but this is my first post. Hoping I might be able to get some expert advice!
I'm a framer with almost five years experience and have recently bought myself some framing equipment. I've set up a workshop in my garage (it's not the prettiest but it'll do for now). I'm hoping that in the near future I'll be able to get a little business off the ground but initially I'll be doing it as a hobby really so won't be placing huge orders for moulding, glass, hardware, etc. This is what my query relates to... Who is the best supplier for someone just starting out?
Any advice or tips would really be appreciated.
Cheers.
Dom
sable filbert
Organisation: framing
Interests: London, boats, bikes, ghosts

Re: Starting up...

Post by sable filbert »

Regarding your location, I would recommend Wessex Pictures, they have a large trade counter in Leatherhead.
Glass, board & mouldings delivered twice a week.

D & J Simons, based in Hackney are also worth looking at.

Good Luck!
prospero

Post by prospero »

Well you have the right approach when you say you won't be placing huge orders. It's very easy to regard a rep's sample case as a big box of chocolates and before you know it you have stacks of moulding that will hang around for years. Some mouldings look great, but think though to what you can use them on before buying. I have stuff going back to the eighties. :? There are also mouldings that seem bargains but are a pain to cut and join so you end up with a lot of waste. Best to try small quantities to test them out. You will eventually find the magic mouldings that are good value and versatile. Then you can build up a good core stock.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
prospero

Post by prospero »

Also.... If you have any framers near to you it's worth seeing if they have any moulding offcuts or surplus stock they would be glad to get shut of - for a small consideration. Good to practice on and make little frames.
pramsay13
Organisation: Picture Framer (ML)
Interests: picture framing (no, really!) sport, music

Post by pramsay13 »

I second that, if you were nearer to me I would happily give you a pile of moulding, mount, and glass offcuts to practice on.
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

He has 5 years of experience, why on earth would he want to practice on scraps?
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

I have nearly 20 yrs experience and practice all the time ..........

I know i will get the hang of it one of these days soon :giggle: :giggle: :giggle:
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

Lol, I have all but stopped making frames, I do cut mounts every so often though.
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

I have made over 120 this week and counting, they don't seem to cut themselves in this workshop no matter how hard I stare at them and curse them.................

What am I doing wrong :giggle:
Jamesnkr

Post by Jamesnkr »

Graysalchemy wrote:I have made over 120 this week and counting, they don't seem to cut themselves in this workshop no matter how hard I stare at them and curse them.................

What am I doing wrong :giggle:
Try being nice to them instead. 8)
prospero

Post by prospero »

AG. You need a team of elfs or pixies that come out at night to do the frames. :clap: If they can cobble then they can frame. :lol:

Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

That was my thinking, I am working late tonight so I will prey that they come in :giggle: :giggle:
DMBN
Organisation: N/A
Interests: Contemporary art, music, football, cycling.

Post by DMBN »

Many thanks for the replies. Wessex was one supplier that I actually forgot to get in touch with. I certainly will do now though. Them having a trade counter in Leatherhead is very handy for me. Of the other suppliers who got back to me, Ashworth & Thompson have been the most helpful. They sent me their most recent catalogue and price list just a few days after I contacted them and the rep there, Phil, seems like a nice chap. I may put an initial order in with them but will definitely get in touch with Wessex too. Also, has anyone on here used DIY Framing? They have a trade counter in Wycombe (not a million miles from me) and apparently price-match any other supplier.
As for popping into a local framing shop to speak to them about taking some offcuts off of their hands, I did actually do this just before Christmas. I didn't get a very friendly response though... I think they thought I was trying to muscle in on their patch.
DEEPJOY
Organisation: inPicture Framing
Interests: Framing, Photography, Aircooled VW and time to be creative.

Post by DEEPJOY »

This is what makes this forum so good. Someone asks for advise and then everyone goes off on a tangent having a laugh leaving the poor person still waiting for words of wisdom :Slap:

The only thing I can add, which may not be what you want hear but it will ay least sharpen your resolve. I am a garage framer under no pressure on the money side as I have a full time job. (How long for - well that is another story). If you think of each framing job as an average monetary amount, let's say £80.00, now decide how much you would need to run the business, overheads, materials and your wage (this can be done per annum and then divided down on to a weekly basis). Now divide the £80.00 into this figure and this will give you an idea of just how many frames you will need to target yourself to do just to stand still.

Your overheads within reason can be fixed, your materials costs will be up and down as a result of how busy you are, there is scrap to be factored in and your wages you can chose where you want them to be. I guess a number of framers would like to take a fixed wage and some of the larger organisations probably will, but most would base their pay on the annual performance of the business.

It frightens me to replace my day job salary with what I may or may not be able to earn in the framing game. But then I remain positive because so many on this forum have been around for a long time so something is working for them.

I think the secret is to remain positive and do not let others poo poo your dream. Keep in with this bunch on the forum as I have never felt like I have been seen as a competitor and they have all offered great advice, training and guidance. Look at what the trends are and what is new to keep your interest. I want to go the Spring fair if for nothing else but to get some inspiration. Now thats me, others will see it as lost time rather than an investment in what they do.

Search this forum for any subject you struggle with and there is every chance you will find the answer a number of times all with there own spin on the theme. :rock: