Mainline All size stretcher Bars

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Nigeman
Organisation: Urban Framing
Interests: walking dog, cricket, history, eating unhealthy foods. Motorbiking

Mainline All size stretcher Bars

Post by Nigeman »

I watched the "how to" video on mainlines website for this product. Seemed great, just a morso and hammer needed. Hey presto a budget stretcher frame for those budget canvas / painted bed sheets, brought in by budget customers. However, I can't cut cleanly with my morso (type F). The slots in the wood get crushed as the rebate supports can't enter the slot in the bar to prevent damage. The morso in the video seems to have a rebate support without the spud under the adjustable support. Mainline say the video was produced by the stretcher bar manufacturer and not their equipment. I ordered a pack on the strength of the video. Has anyone encountered this product? is there a solution that doesn't involve inserting mdf slips for every corner cut? or buying a mitre saw?
I would love to hear of any experience the forum has had with this product. I promise that I do stock nice solid pine 2 way stretcher bars for a solid job. Budget customers keep bringing me third world roadside art that they want framed to third world price and standard. Any suggestions gratefully received.

regards, nIgel
Nigel McFadzean GCF nigel@urbanframing.com
prospero

Re: Mainline All size stretcher Bars

Post by prospero »

Have you got a link to the demo vid?

I use the Wessex 2-way bars which are much the same principle. I cut them on a saw which solves the slot-support issue, but I have cut them on a Morso.
The ones I use are beefy enough not to deform too much as the blade goes though. On smaller ones you could always use a sacrificial bit of plywood in the
slot when cutting.

The mainline system is a bit more sophisticated with slots at the back. Never tried them.

I find the Wessex ones work fine to a point. One issue is that if you do have to give the triangles a bit of welly on a recalcitrant canvas there is a tendency
for the bars to twist - the back of the joint opens up but the front remains tight. To get round this I knock in a thin sliver of wood to equalise this. Bit tricky
to explain (and to do). This firms things up a lot but a slight faff.

All in all this type of stretcher frame is never going to be as good as the time-honoured double mortise type, but as a compromise it works well enough
once you get the knack.

:wink:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Nigeman

Post by Nigeman »

Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

A bit expensive for a 'budget' job, 2 way is far cheaper. Though it doesn't enable you to tension the canvas, that is usually not required on a 'budget' job.
GeoSpectrum
Organisation: Ashcraft Framing
Interests: Family, x-country skiing, wine, art, Jazz

Post by GeoSpectrum »

I've used and and found the same problem. I used mdf, although I don't use that stretcher moulding anymore as I didn't like the slotted back.
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
Bespoke Easels and Self-assembly tray frames
http://www.ashcraftframing.co.uk
prospero

Post by prospero »

Thanks for the link. :D

It looks like they have added the back slot to counteract the twist. Not sure it would cure the prob completely. More ready cut-bits to buy......
IMHO it's a case of over-thinking or re-inventing the wheel.

btw. On the Wessex (think Simons do it as well) stuff I cut my own triangles. On bigger frames you need bigger triangles. FWIW I find Wickes
ply fits nicely. It's about 5mm thick. 6mm is too thick. It's important to get a snug fit without forcing the issue.

btw2. Wessex also do a giant-size bar in Obeche. I got some in to have a look. It's massive and needs 9mm thick triangles. But it occurred to me
that it would make a good 'proper' frame if you added a moulding on the inside. I've done this on a couple of jobs and it looks the biz.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Nigeman

Post by Nigeman »

Hi all thanks for your replies. I think I'll join geospectrums thought on this product, It seemed a good idea at the time but will try something else when my current stock runs out. I don't think the magic morso rebate support that slides into slots is a common accessory, though mainline did kindly offer to look on ebay for me. It is a lot of faffing to feed the sacrificial mdf to the morso which only makes a quick job much longer. Live and learn, I hope I'm not the only framer to have been seduced by an attractive video that appears to fulfill your wants and desires.
Any suggestions what to google to get an attractive video other than the Mainline site?

NIgel.
Chris_h
Organisation: www.TheUKLandscape.com
Interests: Photography, Football, F1, printing & framing www.Photographyprinting.co.uk

Post by Chris_h »

I got some had the same problem as others. In the end I just gave up and chucked the lot in the bin.