old master to frame

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Derek
Organisation: Frame & Print
Interests: Framing, Printing, Bodging

old master to frame

Post by Derek »

I have been brought a commission to frame an antique portrait. O
n the phone I thought that I'd be able to buy an off the shelf moulded frame in antique style from one of the usual suppliers. However, on receipt of the picture I find that the dimensions are 30inches x 25inches. These measurements do not match any off the shelf frame I can find from the usual suppliers. has anyone any idea where such a size may be purchased?

Otherwise what solutions are suggested to make a heavily antique style moulded frame with hidden corners which will look like an antique one?

I've supplied many frames to this client before but in those instances have printed and stretched the canvases to fit off the shelf frames (from DJ Simons) he has had me reproduce old masters (having bought the image files from the galleries) and frame the prints. This time he has brought me an original 18th century oil.

grateful for any suggestions.........
David McCormack
Organisation: Framing
Interests: Cycling, walking, darkroom photography and laughing a lot!

Re: old master to frame

Post by David McCormack »

"You know, there's a right and wrong way to do everything!"
Oliver Hardy.
https://www.instagram.com/davidaustinmccormack/
Timh
Organisation: kingswood frames and mirors
Interests: framing and framing history manufacture of mouldings and decorated frames

Re: old master to frame

Post by Timh »

we could look to make an 18th century reproduction

most frames of the 1700's were carved as compo didn't come into use until the end of the 18th century.

depending on the calibre of the painting we can make or source something suitable

this is one we made for a client with an 18th Cent portrait showing both gessoed and the raw gilded finish before toning. sand was placed in the centre panel which was used on some frames.

if this is too ornate, then maybe a British Maratta section may suit. If you google Maratta Frames a few examples come up.
IMG_2286.JPG
IMG_2286.JPG (2.25 MiB) Viewed 2232 times
IMG_2208.JPG
IMG_2208.JPG (1.48 MiB) Viewed 2232 times