Sports Shirts etc

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
StevenG
Organisation: Featurepiece Frames
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Sports Shirts etc

Post by StevenG »

'Evening all

At this point I've done numerous football shirts etc but I'm never 100% happy with the sleeves... I'll try and explain, I ususally bring the sleeves around the front of the top & attach with a 2 or 3 tags on the inside of the cuff, through the shirt front. Can anyone give me a good tip on how to get the sleeve more taught, on some fabrics the sleeve can be 'flappy'. I've seen some people use a doublesided fabric tape but when visible it looks terrible.

Whilst on the topic - anyone got any pointers for mounting a football 'cap' ? What's a nice way to handle the tassels?

I'd add a few pics but I'm doing this on my phone

Cheers
Steven
StevenG
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Re: Sports Shirts etc

Post by StevenG »

Did I say something wrong? :lol:
David McCormack
Organisation: Framing
Interests: Cycling, walking, darkroom photography and laughing a lot!

Post by David McCormack »

Yes, "sports shirts" :lol: Never have and never will... well maybe a maillot jaune if one ever came my way...
"You know, there's a right and wrong way to do everything!"
Oliver Hardy.
https://www.instagram.com/davidaustinmccormack/
pramsay13
Organisation: Picture Framer (ML)
Interests: picture framing (no, really!) sport, music

Post by pramsay13 »

I normally fold half over the front and use tags inside.
Occasionally I use tape on the back to pull the sleeve back a bit if too loose.

I've only ever done 1 football cap and I just left the tassel to dangle free.
Attachments
15.jpg
15.jpg (291.65 KiB) Viewed 7974 times
StevenG

Post by StevenG »

Cheers guys, aye, it's something I don't like doing but business is business. The half sleeve looks alright actually. What tape do you use?
pramsay13
Organisation: Picture Framer (ML)
Interests: picture framing (no, really!) sport, music

Post by pramsay13 »

Tapestry tape.
maguirei
Organisation: SGF
Interests: Music Music Music

Post by maguirei »

pramsay13 wrote:Tapestry tape.
An alternative to tape it to use tags again on the back to pull the slack tight or rust proof pins. I think I'd bit a bit wary of using tapestry tape on anything of value.
StevenG

Post by StevenG »

I'm starting to think I'll just start folding the sleeves around the back, it'll make the jobs much quicker but I'm not sure if I like the 'square' look of shirts done like that. I'll try a few things.

Cheers for the input guys
Steven
Framie
Organisation: Anything Framed
Interests: Custom Framing, Hand Finishes and Multi Aperture Mounts.

Post by Framie »

Every shirt gets stitched into the backing mount with 100% cotton (ball point needle) sleeves get pulled to where they want to be and stitched.

I wouldn't go anywhere near a shirt with tape, sorry.
Anything Framed
StevenG

Post by StevenG »

Apart from a few tags I do stitch the shirt into/unto the backing board, but it's the sleeves I have the issue with, I stitch the sleeves from the inside though, I often think about stitching through the front as I think get a much better result.... but then the stitching is obvious.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

It's not much fun getting a ball point needle through mount board unless you make the holes with something else first.

I use a combination of stitches (pointed needle) and tags to fix the shirt to a foam board insert (former) and tags to fix that to the mount board.

I fold the sleeves to partially show them, some goes behind and some goes in front, there's sometimes a logo that has to be shown, long sleeves are the worst. The stitches are mostly for tags that would show - i.e. the sleeves and pretty much any others on the front and these are invisible stitches like you get on trouser hems, they don't go all the way through the fabric. You can also use any original stitches, in and out of the same holes with the same colour cotton.
Framie
Organisation: Anything Framed
Interests: Custom Framing, Hand Finishes and Multi Aperture Mounts.

Post by Framie »

yep, I make the hole with a t-pin first (Only through the board not the shirt)

The idea with ball point needle is you don't rip straight through threads.
Anything Framed
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

I know, we sell about 75 different types of needle!

Ball point needles are fine for counted fabrics like aida, they will find a hole and not pierce the fabric between, most fabrics used for clothing are too close-knit though and a ball point needle will just make a bigger hole. Invisible stitching has to be a sharp needle.

If the shirt is made from bigger holes than the diameter of your ball point needle, that's fine but most are not.
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

Tag guns and pins for me I wouldn't use tape though I have seen shirts from plenty of the large memorabilia framers with a multitude of tape on the back of them.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I don't think I've been asked to frame a shirt this year at all, but it has been a diificult year in more ways than one. In general, I don't mind framing sports shirts, but long sleeved one are something that I've never really felt comfortable doing.

No doubt someone out there knows how to do them really well, but I've never been all that pleased with the results I get with long sleeves. Even if you fold the sleeves behind there's just to much bulk to neatly hide behind the shirt. I'd be interested to know if anyone has got the perfect way to frame long sleeved sports shirts. Thanks.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

I usually show the sleeves, but if you aren't couldn't you cut two slits in the backing card and pass the sleeves through, have a small cavity behind, might even help hold the shirt in place, just a wine induced thought for you Mark.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Yes, I've thought of that, but never tried it. Usually when a shirt comes in for framing, it's needed quite quickly at there's not time to spend getting materials that aren't already in stock. Usually football shirt are a last minute decision for a birthday, or a raffle.

I've got a package deal, which I do for the local football club, which uses half a sheet of mountboard, Simons 000S/0002 and Emafil 501029104 for the inside. I used to do this for £99 at first, but now it's £125. Not so many are interested since I put the price up, but it's just not worth doing it for £99 anymore.

Adding the cavity for long sleeves would cost more and there's no a lot of indication that any of my customers would be willing to pay for it. That reminds me that it's a good time to contact the guy who conducts the raffles. I have some neutral pH standard mountboards that I used to stock for a particular customer who has disappeared off the scene for a while and I like to do a good deal mounting pictures to shift the mountboard. He's always up for a good deal right now the money would be quite useful.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

I could create a cavity for sleeves with strips of 2.6 mm mount board or 8 ply for our US friends, would come out of scraps and take a few minutes to cut on the Excalibur.
You did ask for a solution. So just trying to offer one for you :)
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

It doesn't really matter does it? If the sleeves are folded around the back it's just extra bulk that might need making flush and might need a deeper rebate.

But not really, long sleeves are no thicker than short sleeves, just ..... longer. I have a long sleeved shirt on display in the shop, bought it from sports direct (and signed it "A Rugby Player - A.N OtherRugby Player" and "The Manager" and people STILL want to buy it! ) with one sleeve in front and one behind.
233ART
Organisation: ART233, GALLERY/FRAME SHOP
Interests: COLLECTING & RESTORING OLD TOYS...

Post by 233ART »

Post a picture Robo...