Corn Dolly

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
S.Mole
Organisation: Mole Weaving
Interests: Photography, Natural History, Collections volunteer with National trust

Corn Dolly

Post by S.Mole »

Hello there,

I have a project to mount a corn dolly in a glazed frame. The client would like a simple box mount, with the sidewalls the same colour as the background and no shadow mount inside the glazing.

However, there is the strong likelihood that some of the wheat grains will fall out of the heads at some point (there were a few free grains in the bag the dolly arrived in).

Does anyone know if a corn dolly can be stabilised successfully? e.g. matt spray varnish?

Else, should I try and persuade the client that a shadow mount would at least hide any grains that do fall out?

Suggestions very welcome!
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Re: Corn Dolly

Post by IFGL »

You could put an escape hole in one corner, or try pastel fixative.
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

Well I think it is inevitable given the nature of the beast, its what seeds are designed to do, break off when they dry. I would have made it clear to the client at the offset that this is what is likely to happen than try and find a fix once you have agreed with the client how you are going to frame it.

what a bout lining it with a cove box but not attach it to the back so there is a 5mm gap at the back were anything that drops off can fall behind.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

There's not many corn dollies around in Devon, but you do come across quite a lot of them across the border in Cornwall. From time to time customers bring them back from Cornwall, so you do see them, but not often.

It's not just the seeds that fall off, but the stalks disintegrate as well. Sorry to disappoint you, but these things just don't last for a particularly long time and there's not a lot you can do about that. The seeds are meant to fall off to grow into next years crop and that's just what they will do.

Not only that, but small insects will try very hard to get inside you frame to eat you corn dolly and lay their eggs on it as well, so you do need to consider how best to seal the frame to stop this.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
prospero

Post by prospero »

You could try a few coats of hair spray. :P

I probably won't last forever and it will change the appearance somewhat, but if it's going
to disintegrate anyway WTH. :roll:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
233ART
Organisation: ART233, GALLERY/FRAME SHOP
Interests: COLLECTING & RESTORING OLD TOYS...

Post by 233ART »

Why not make a Slider or slip over frame.This is a box made from thin timber or fillet, with an outer frame (cover) that slips over the front of the box.This can then be taken off to remove any debris...
S.Mole
Organisation: Mole Weaving
Interests: Photography, Natural History, Collections volunteer with National trust

Post by S.Mole »

Many thanks all - much appreciated!

:clap:
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

233ART wrote:Why not make a Slider or slip over frame.
Probably the best possible idea!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer