Shoe sole needs mounting discretely

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
caro
Organisation: Manor Farm Studios
Interests: making stuff with wood, glass, metal, textiles, paint. Big friendly dogs.

Shoe sole needs mounting discretely

Post by caro »

IMG_20161207_102432168.jpg
IMG_20161207_102432168.jpg (997.96 KiB) Viewed 4824 times
I've got this old shoe sole to frame for a customer, in a box frame, maybe dates from 1605, rigid, has a few small existing holes, I thought I'd go for brown thread to hold it in place using the existing holes, in the picture I've put some transparent thread and polyester strip which i think are more noticeable, does anybody have any other suggestions for fixing it to the undermount?
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Re: Shoe sole needs mounting discretely

Post by JFeig »

If this was to be displayed in an up to date museum, the polyester strips would be used. The polyester would be passed through the mount board and secured to the verso side of the board behind the item.

With thread through the existing holes there might be undue stress on the leather or possible wear through. BTY, only cotton or linen thread should be used. Polyester thread would be abrasive and possible cut the leather.
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
caro
Organisation: Manor Farm Studios
Interests: making stuff with wood, glass, metal, textiles, paint. Big friendly dogs.

Post by caro »

Many thanks for your help Jerome, I used the method you advised and the customer was very happy! I've just posted a picture of the finished job on another post about framing a pair of wedding shoes.
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

Isn't the traditional method for mounting shoe soles not chewing gum?