Interests: Photography

(Float?) frame 30cm x 25cm oil on mdf

Post by jefffy »

20170116_215944.jpg
20170116_215944.jpg (1.72 MiB) Viewed 2494 times
20170116_215920.jpg
20170116_215920.jpg (2.09 MiB) Viewed 2494 times
Hello,

Complete beginner to framing but looking to start framing my own photography prints.

In the meantime, I have an oil painting on MDF that I would like to frame. It is 303mm x 258mm, about 4mm thick. It is signed on the back, but otherwise free from 'hardware'.

I would be grateful for framing advice and suppliers / services that can help (I am based in the UK.) Are there places where I can get such a frame ordered online and then use my own hardware to fix the painting in place?

With zero framing experience, my initial instincts are probably a little off. My hunch is that a fairly thin 'float frame' in dark grey/black would look quite nice. This colour frame would match many of the others I've got (a mix of mainly wooden dark grey/black/speckled frames of deliberately odd styles.) Would really appreciate any alternative ideas though.

Many thanks!
prospero

Re: (Float?) frame 30cm x 25cm oil on mdf

Post by prospero »

Hi and Welcome Jefffy. :D

The problem with floating this type of panel is attaching the thing. You can't really screw into the back
as MDF that thin wouldn't hold a screw too well and you run the risk of a screw bursting out the front.
If you glue it into a frame you can never get it out again without high risk of damage.
A compromise is the glue thin (solid) wood batten to the back and screw into those. This would lift the panel
somewhat, but not an entirely undesirable thing as you get a nicer floating effect. The painting could then be
removed easily from the frame. Frames do get damaged. Paintings do need reframing sometimes.

Normally, gluing stuff to artwork is a no-no as it inflicts a fundamental and irreversible change to the fabric of the piece.
In this case I don't think it would matter a great deal. Check that it's not of great intrinsic value.

As far as the aesthetics of the frame go - you could ask 100 framers to produce a design and they would all be different and
they would all all be right. :lol:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
theframer
Organisation: Icon Framers Ltd
Interests: football,fishing

Post by theframer »

I think you should take it to your local framer and if you are going to have more work coming up you could get a discount,
Dave
jefffy
Organisation: Myself
Interests: Photography

Post by jefffy »

Thanks for the advice above. Took a while, but this weekend I got this into a frame. I'm sure I've done it neither the best, nor the most efficient way, so grateful for any comment on the approach taken below.

I found a supplier of pre-made float frames:
http://www.ezeframe.co.uk/Item/611167000 (any other UK suppliers that offer this service at a similar price point?)

They said that they make the frames "a few mm larger" than that which you specify. I guessed that "a few" would likely be around 3mm, so wanting a 5mm 'border' provided the exact measurements of the board plus 10mm. This worked out about OK, but would have looked fine a few mm bigger as well, imo.

I bought a strip of 10.5mm x 25mm wood, cut it to a few mm shorter than the paintings length and wood glued it, inset 3mm along both long edges of the painting. I had the painting laid face down on a couple of tea towels. To apply pressure I put a chopping board over both of the strips and stacked a few big hardbacks on top. I was worried about applying too much pressure and damaging the oil paint - a valid concern?

Checking how far the wood strip overlapped with the lip of the float frame, I drilled a 2mm pilot hole in the float frame. I put the painting in the frame and centered it by adding even amounts of playing cards along each of the four sides. The profile of the float frame lip was 12mm, then 10mm for the wood strip glued to the painting, so I went for 18mm long, 3.5mm diamater self tapping screws.

I completely mis-positioned one of my pilot holes, and had to redrill it. If I was doing it again, I'd obviously measure better, but might also use a thinner screw and/or drill pilot holes into the wood strips as well as the frame. Was a bit worried they might split.

Overall quite enjoyed the process and content with the result. Hopefully it doesn't fall out...
2017-02-13 21.23.41.jpg
2017-02-13 21.23.41.jpg (751.03 KiB) Viewed 2322 times
20170213_204356.jpg
20170213_204356.jpg (1.5 MiB) Viewed 2322 times