Get help and framing advice from the framing community
DaveJ
Organisation: FrameCraft
Interests: Picture Framing.

Nick out of moulding!

Post by DaveJ »

mouldin.jpg
mouldin.jpg (38.71 KiB) Viewed 5196 times
Hi guys does anyone know what causes this? a little 'nick' I get out of the moulding when cutting on the morso at the end of the cut. I haven't narrowed it down to a particular moulding just hit and miss, sometimes happens sometimes doesn't!?! My morso is pretty old so maybe an adjustment!?! Thank you.
prospero

Re: Nick out of moulding!

Post by prospero »

This is a perennial problem with mouldings using a thick coating of compo. It may be that the bottom of the back
edge is slightly rounded, thus no support when the blades go though and the result is a bit comes off.

Some folks jam a piece of plasticine into the corner formed by the fence and bed, which is a PITA and not sure if it
works or not. Banging the blades down as fast as possible is another patent remedy. :?

All in all the best way is to ditch that moulding and find one with a better coating. :clap:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
DaveJ

Post by DaveJ »

Thanks prospero, glad its not my machine. Such a pain as standard stuff for me, a medium sized arqadia black moulding. I'll have to look at an alternative, thanks again.
StevenG
Organisation: Featurepiece Frames
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Post by StevenG »

As the master has already said I've learnt this is mostly due to the moulding but even in saying that I've found that quality can vary batch to batch. But certainly most with compo can show this issue. I still get it from time to time, I've used a little filler in the past too though for hiding the little nicks - https://www.lionpic.co.uk/p/11682/Amaco ... 56gm%2f2oz
DaveJ

Post by DaveJ »

OK thanks and yes I've noticed the difference, same moulding, different batch. Was actually going to ask about fillers, I've got some my Dad had many years ago but I think I should try some new! Will have a go with that Lion one Thanks.
StevenG
Organisation: Featurepiece Frames
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Post by StevenG »

No worries - and, of course the sharpness of your blades will play a part too :)
tebbles
Organisation: the frame shop
Interests: music, framing

Post by tebbles »

If possible, try cutting the moulding upside down, might solve your issue
foxyframer
Organisation: Hampshire Framing
Interests: Golf, DIY and baking bread,cakes, biscuits and making chilli jams and various chutneys.

Post by foxyframer »

You will find that two small cuts with a Stanley Knife at the base of the moulding about 1.5mm apart will do the trick. Ideal for mouldings like the one in the pic with gesso on the back edge. Try a few experiments with off cuts to get it right. It works....!

Good too if you make sure there is no clog in the V of the blades and the blades are hollow ground and sharp.

Hope this helps

Foxy
Measure twice - cut once
DaveJ

Post by DaveJ »

Interesting stuff, great thanks will try those tomorrow.