Chinese pictures to frame

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
DaveJ
Organisation: FrameCraft
Interests: Picture Framing.

Chinese pictures to frame

Post by DaveJ »

Hi guys another one I need your Knowledge on! I've got 11 of these Chinese pictures to frame. My customer wants them surface mounted as opposed to a window mount as he says it looks more traditional. So I thought of float mounting them however the paper is see through so any hinging or other method would be visible. Any ideas, suggestions welcome please! Than you, Dave J.
16709244_10154193388076921_1852262707_o.jpg
16709244_10154193388076921_1852262707_o.jpg (48.3 KiB) Viewed 13928 times
16667990_10154193387926921_2041342839_o.jpg
16667990_10154193387926921_2041342839_o.jpg (39.39 KiB) Viewed 13928 times
Attachments
16710462_10154193388366921_2050665972_o.jpg
16710462_10154193388366921_2050665972_o.jpg (37.98 KiB) Viewed 13928 times
prospero

Re: Chinese pictures to frame

Post by prospero »

Traditional? :roll:

To my way of looking there is little merit in float mounting them. Technically, it would be problematic.

Are they valuable?

You could dry mount them to a thicker piece of paper, then you could float them.

You could dry mount them onto a coloured background.

Wouldn't recommend the last two options. :?

The best way would be to use a window mount, then you could employ edge mounting with Mylar strips so
no gluey attachment at all. Or two tiny hinges. Easier.

As far as the customer's wishes are concerned, you are the framer not he. Sometimes people get ideas that seem
reasonable to them but have no idea of the (im)practicalities. :Slap:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
maguirei
Organisation: SGF
Interests: Music Music Music

Post by maguirei »

Not sure why your hinges would show through, if your undermount is the same colour as your hinging tape. They will obviously show up against MDF ( like in your picture), but you wouldn't be hinging them onto that!
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

I successfully mounted some velum title deeds using Roboframers method in this thread, they are fairly see through and there was no indication of where I had mounted them when viewing the finished Item, I am glad I used that method actually because I had forgotten to copy what was on the back for the customer, I was able to remove all traces, copy it then reframe :)

http://www.theframersforum.com/viewtopi ... lum#p75298

I would still recommend window mounting it though.
DaveJ

Post by DaveJ »

Thanks guys, no not valuable. The MDF is only there because I flatten big old posters between it, tissue paper, mount card sheets then MDF on top, you'll be pleased to know! Yes window mounting would be sooo much easier. Perhaps I'll knock one up and show him how great it looks!!
DaveJ

Post by DaveJ »

I'm not even gonna tell you what he settled for in the end, completely adamant! I'm gonna be cringing when I do these but hey, the customer is always right...right!! :head:
Trinity
Organisation: Trinity Framing
Interests: Classic Tractors, Honda Blackbird, Eunos, anything with an engine

Post by Trinity »

a couple of posts up I know, but where is Rroboframer, and Grays for that matter
Do not be afraid of strangers, for thereby many have entertained angels unawares.
StevenG
Organisation: Featurepiece Frames
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Post by StevenG »

DaveJ wrote:I'm not even gonna tell you what he settled for in the end, completely adamant! I'm gonna be cringing when I do these but hey, the customer is always right...right!! :head:

Now I want to know!!! :)
DaveJ

Post by DaveJ »

Well he wanted a very slim brown frame, I found a gorgeous deep bevelled Nielson moulding in brown with a natural grain finish and showed him how they could be float mounted to the cream mount board (yes maguirei you were right the hinges wouldn't show) I explained that the fillets would match the mount card or even a small spacer but no he wants them flat against the glass! I asked if they were expensive and he said yes they were, sent from china and are presents for friends. I tried, I explained but he's adamant it will 'look better'. Its not a price issue either, genuinely wants it to look like that, Oh well.... I told him I'm not responsible regarding the conservation issue!

He said window mounts look horrible, I've done 5 for him before with window mounts! Cheers mate! :lol:

He's a lovely fella but just wasn't concerned about the contact with the glass and the flat look, Oh well, like I said the customer is always right, maybe they'll look good!
David McCormack
Organisation: Framing
Interests: Cycling, walking, darkroom photography and laughing a lot!

Post by David McCormack »

Trinity wrote:a couple of posts up I know, but where is Rroboframer, and Grays for that matter
Naughty step :lol: see this post http://theframersforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 20#p117720
"You know, there's a right and wrong way to do everything!"
Oliver Hardy.
https://www.instagram.com/davidaustinmccormack/
prospero

Post by prospero »

I had a similar situation a week or two back. Guy with some oriental calligraphy that is wife (who wasn't oriental) had done.
Just about every thing he wanted was very bad. He wanted them stuck down. With spray glue. He had a previously stuck one
to demonstrate. It was peeling off. No problem about them touching the glass though, he didn't want glass. :?

I'm sure some people think the only reason framers use mounts is to sell a bigger frame. Sometimes you have to dig in your heels
and tell people what's what.
DaveJ

Post by DaveJ »

Well I did say that this wasn't with conservation in mind and he said it doesn't matter. After all it's his pictures and his choice. On the upside I have the moulding and the mount board in stock that he wants and at the end of the day am here to make a living so bobs yer uncle!
Jamesnkr

Post by Jamesnkr »

As a general rule, in a centrally-heated house, up-against-the-glass is absolutely fine. It's not best practice, it's not conservation. But lots of pictures live like that for years without any problem.
DaveJ

Post by DaveJ »

Interesting thanks, glad it's not a complete no no.
kartoffelngeist
Organisation: Rosie's Framers and Crafts
Interests: Framing, mental health, martial arts

Post by kartoffelngeist »

DaveJ wrote:Well I did say that this wasn't with conservation in mind and he said it doesn't matter. After all it's his pictures and his choice. On the upside I have the moulding and the mount board in stock that he wants and at the end of the day am here to make a living so bobs yer uncle!
Yep. I'll happily explain to customers why I think they should do them a certain way but I'm not going to faff about with clever conservation methods if the customer just wants it glued down. As you say, got to make a living.

I've seen a frame with notes scribbled on the inside saying that this is what the customer wanted even though they were advised otherwise.
Thanks,

andrew
"The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them in to the impossible."
Etsy
Facebook
Twitter

DaveJ

Post by DaveJ »

Yes agreed, Ha! Note, love it! :D
prospero

Post by prospero »

Jamesnkr wrote:As a general rule, in a centrally-heated house, up-against-the-glass is absolutely fine. It's not best practice, it's not conservation. But lots of pictures live like that for years without any problem.

That's absolutely true. :D I've seen lots of up-against-glass pictures that were OK. I've also seen a lot that weren't. :|
DaveJ

Post by DaveJ »

I've had photos that looked fine but on removal were stuck to the glass and got damaged/torn.
Jamesnkr

Post by Jamesnkr »

prospero wrote: I've also seen a lot that weren't. :|
Usually on account of acidic backboard - or being framed with nothing between the picture and the wood backboard. Or condensation on account of being kept in a damp garage.
prospero

Post by prospero »

.... but more often the glass. :D

People often have the impression that placing glass on a piece of paper will keep it flat.
They can be forgiven for thinking this, but in actuality it's a surefire way of making it go wavy.

That's apart from the ink-sticking issue. :|