Dry mounting Photographs - best board?

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Whitewater Gallery
Organisation: Whtewater Gallery
Interests: Surfing, sailing

Dry mounting Photographs - best board?

Post by Whitewater Gallery »

I have been using the Wessex display board to cold mount my photos but I think they have changed their supplier and it now has a really bad orange peel effect. I am now using the Simons equivalent which is slightly better but still not as good as the original Wessex board, are there any alternatives?
StevenG
Organisation: Featurepiece Frames
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Re: Dry mounting Photographs - best board?

Post by StevenG »

I normally use Arqadia's Fastmount, I tried the Daler & Simons version but, as you mention, the orange peel effect wasn't nice.

http://www.arqadia.co.uk/productdetails ... =999000350
Glimpse

Post by Glimpse »

Dammit, I was just about ready to order some more of the Wessex white display board, didn't know they'd changed it!
Whitewater Gallery

Thanks Featurepiece. I had steered away from self adhesive route as I use my CMC to deboss the position of the photo and place the double sided adhesive inside this, stick the photo and then the mount will not stick to the board. However if the finish using the Fastmount has no orange peel effect I could try cutting through the cover paper so I can just peel off the photo area part - might even save time!

Glimpse - I have just had an email from Wessex saying that the 1550mm x 1060mm size board is still from the old supplier so it looks like getting that and cutting down to fit the CMC might be my way ahead.
David McCormack
Organisation: Framing
Interests: Cycling, walking, darkroom photography and laughing a lot!

Post by David McCormack »

They also have the Hot Press board https://www.wessexpictures.com/White_Display_Board.html unless that is the one you are talking about :? They mention it reduces the effect of orange peel on glossy work.
"You know, there's a right and wrong way to do everything!"
Oliver Hardy.
https://www.instagram.com/davidaustinmccormack/
Whitewater Gallery

Thanks David, have checked with Wessex and apparently that board is obsolete and should have been removed from the website.

Glimpse - Wessex have come back to me this morning to say that they can get the old board but I would have to commit to 100 and call it off over 12 months. If this is the option I will probably go with the larger board and cut it down, but if you could commit to 50 sheets I would split it with you?

I realised I have a new large roll of adhesive film to use up before I try the self adhesive route!
Glimpse

Post by Glimpse »

I don't think that would be a problem, I tend to order it in 10 or 20 sheets - I'm not a huge user but don't think 50 would be a problem over a year.
It's a good backing board too!