A Few Queries

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
BGK
Organisation: BGK
Interests: Art

A Few Queries

Post by BGK »

Hi everyone, i am new to framers forum. Planning to setup a framing shop in India.
I plan to work with wood, plastic & aluminium frame mouldings up to 100mm wide.

I was looking to buy the Morso F cutting machine.
I am told cutting more than 60mm wide mouldings can get tougher on Morso F.
Instead has been recommended to go for an automatic Morso EH model which is told to handle bigger widths better.
Half of my jobs will be under 50mm wide mouldings & the other half on around 50 - 100 mm wide mouldings.
Morso F is understandably a legend, but how will you rate Morso Pneumatic / Hydraulic / Electric cutting models?
Also your opinion regarding Morso Vs Alfamacchine Pneumatic / Hydraulic / Electric cutters.

I might need advise regarding underpinners & aluminium mouldings cutting machine, which i will post later.

Thank you.
prospero

Re: A Few Queries

Post by prospero »

Hi and Welcome BGK.

It's true that the Morso is maybe better suited to smaller mouldings but it will cut wider ones. It just takes longer.
The powered versions are exactly the same in terms of cutting ability, they are just more operator-friendly for
doing high-volume work. In fact, for cutting say less than say, 50 frames per day you would be better off with
a manual Morso.

For bigger mouldings a double mitre saw wins over the Morso. But they are heavy, expensive and noisy. And need a
dust extraction system. Also a big air compressor and more room than a Morso. It all depends on what type of mouldings
you will be cutting and the volume of work you will be doing.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
BGK

Post by BGK »

Hello Prospero,

Thanks for the advise.
I will be cutting only 30 - 40 frames a day.
Pls. refer below link, will be using similar mouldings frequently.
http://www.arqadia.co.uk/productdetails ... =601246000
ARQ Essentials Moulding
Product No.: 601246000
Width (mm): 93
Rebate Depth (mm): 24
Depth (mm): 55

For my use do you think Morso F would suffice?
If the wider mouldings cutting quality (not the quantity) can get any better in Morso electric models or Alfa i am willing to invest.
Morso says max mould width to be 100mm...is that the limit or maybe can we use say 104mm wide mouldings?
Thanks.
prospero

Post by prospero »

I would go for the manual model. They are tough and simple. The less to go wrong = the less that will go wrong.

As for that huge scoop moulding I have actually cut that on a Morso but it's right at the limit of it's capabilities.

The maximum width you can physically get into a Morso is around 105mm. But it depends on the shape of the moulding.
If it is high at inside, like a reverse shape the cutting width is reduced considerably. You can adjust the tie-bar that connects
to the pedal to get a bit more height, but only so far or the front of the blades won't go all the way down.
On some mouldings you can remove the rebate supports to gain a bit of ground. Usually on big mouldings you can get
away without them. If the blades won't cut all the way though or you can't get them high enough with the block fully back
there is a sneaky way which is very hard to explain. Basically it involves going in as far as you can and then going sideways.
It's strictly a last resort method.

If you are going to be using that big scoop regularly I would seriously consider getting a saw. There are models that are much
simpler than the giant double mitre machines that are made for framing. Never used one, but they do exist.

Rather than buy a powered Morso you could maybe buy a manual Morso + a decent saw for around the same price.

There are lots of 'chop' saws on the market but generally they are not accurate enough for picture frames. Having said that,
the better makes such as DeWalt have a better built quality than the budget models. Put a good quality fine blade in one and
you can get good results. A saw will cut that big scoop in seconds where with a Morso you would be messing about for ages.
Abacus
Organisation: Abacus Picture Framing and Gallery
Interests: Picture Framing, Furniture making.

Post by Abacus »

Brevetti prisma would be (and is) my choice. Decent dust extractor is needed, but no compressor.
Keith Hewitt
Organisation: www.keithhewitt.co.uk
Interests: Badminton, golf, gym, and exploring new places.

Post by Keith Hewitt »

I've sent you an email. Let me know if you received it
Did it help ?
Keith Hewitt
I have visited distributors and framers in 90 countries - no two are the same.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XtrrWooYdg
BGK

Post by BGK »

Thanks Keith, i have contacted them.

Thanks Abacus, unable to find Brevetti's website, saw some information on their distributors page.
Brevetti Prisma cuts aluminium as well. Do you have their web address?

Thanks a lot Prospero. That gives some clarity on the way forward.
Can you recommend any good model from DeWalt?

I found Alfamacchine U400 underpinner a good option, any thoughts / suggestions on this?
For joining frames do Pneumatic underpinners perform better than the manual ones?

Finally on the aluminium profiles cutting, any models that can be recommended?

Thanks again.
prospero

Post by prospero »

As far as DeWalt saws go, I can't really recommend a particular model. What I would say is
try to find one without the compound sliding mechanism. It would give you more cutting
capacity, but far more than you would actually need and the less moving parts the better in
terms of consistent accuracy. A lot depends on what you can get hold of easily.

I would go for a 10" blade. A 12" will give a bit better width of cut but with a big leap in cost.

Whatever you get the main thing is the blade. Most chop saws come with a 24 tooth blade. For
general frame mouldings an 80 tooth is good. Get a good quality one and do have it sharpened
now and then. If you intend to cut poly moulding get a blade with negative rake teeth. A 'normal'
wood-cutting blade will tend to get too hot cutting plastic and you get melted gunk on the blade.
Abacus
Organisation: Abacus Picture Framing and Gallery
Interests: Picture Framing, Furniture making.

Post by Abacus »

Brevetti are Italian, here is their website
http://www.brevettimotta.com/prodotti/t ... ma-ce.html

Wessex sell them in the U.K.
BGK

Post by BGK »

Thanks Abacus.

Thanks again Prospero for the comprehensive advise.