Gummed paper lifting from backing board

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
walnuttreeframing
Organisation: Walnut Tree Framing
Interests: Framing, Rugby, Photography, Aviation

Gummed paper lifting from backing board

Post by walnuttreeframing »

I've tried to find my problem in the database and haven't found it so here goes - if this a repeat please point me in the right direction.
I use a Packer 3S gummed paper dispenser and am having trouble with making the paper stick uniformly on the back of the frame. It rarely occurs on the wood but occurs on both Art Bak and MDF. Since doing my GCF a couple of years ago ( where the only comment on my work was the afore-mentioned problem) I have been experimenting with various techniques but nothing has been consistently successful. I have: takenout and cleaned the brush - it certainly seems to provide a good supply of water; applied finger and other pressure to the tape as it passes over the brush; been as quick as is possible to apply the tape; allowed time for the water to soak. The lifting usually happens on the edge of the tape - but not exclusively. I suspect there is not enough water on the tape and the "suck" of the backing board is causing the problem. I use new rolls from Wessex. Short of applying a damp cloth to the back, which I wouldn't be very happy with ,I don't know which way to go next. Tape is so much easier to use - so maybe the message is there, I just don't like being defeated!
David McCormack
Organisation: Framing
Interests: Cycling, walking, darkroom photography and laughing a lot!

Re: Gummed paper lifting from backing board

Post by David McCormack »

I apply tape just using a wet sponge without any problems. I have learnt the tape needs to be wet all over and if you miss a bit it won't stick, even if the sponge passed over that bit of tape. Maybe rule out the dispenser by applying some tape with a sponge. Then rule out the quality of tape by trying a different brand (I used to use Wessex tape now much prefer Arqadia tape) then rule out the backing board. I've never used mdf but stopped using artbak because of sticking issues with gummed tape. My backing board now is Nubord from Wessex.
"You know, there's a right and wrong way to do everything!"
Oliver Hardy.
https://www.instagram.com/davidaustinmccormack/
prospero

Post by prospero »

FWIW. I use 4" wide rolls from http://www.ukindustrialtapes.co.uk/

Some I've tried are a bit lightweight and diaphanous. The stuff I have now is good'n'thick.

I also use a one-armed-bandit type wetting and cutting machine and it works well.
Had it 30 years or more. I have to say that a little bit of jiggling and adjustment is
usually called for to get the tape wet enough. You can test it by wetting a short bit
and leaving it to see if it curls up.

btw. If the backing you use has a waterproof coating the tape won't stick. MDF should be fine.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
maguirei
Organisation: SGF
Interests: Music Music Music

Post by maguirei »

We had this problem many years ago so started routinely wetting each bit of tape TWICE - with a foam brush - second wet straight after the first.Since then we've never had a problem. I agree that some tapes are worse than others in this respect - but the twice wetting technique seems to work with all gum tapes!
walnuttreeframing
Organisation: Walnut Tree Framing
Interests: Framing, Rugby, Photography, Aviation

Post by walnuttreeframing »

Thank you all for your replies, apologies for tardiness - I'll health I'm afraid
I shall certainly have a go - particularly interested in the waterproof suggestion as I use ART BAK C.

Thanks again